ODBC to SQL server

• Hopefully someone has the answer to my predicament. I have been trying to get a ODBC set up to my SQL Express server, yet every time when i try to do it i get error 67 and 17. i have searched the net for answers to this yet nothing has fixed it. I am using windows authentication and have the server set to accept remote connections. i have set up the firewall on the VM that is running SQL to accept inbound and outbound traffic on port 1433 for my EPO server. i also have another instance running for a separate DB and that one is setup for same except it is using 1438. I first trying using 1433 again and it would not work when restarting that particular instance of SQL. When running through the setup wizard for the ODBC, I get to the last section to click finish and then the error pops up. Also at the area where I can choose the default table it does not give me the tables from the DB that I am trying to connect to. Is there some sort of permissions that I need to set up in SSMS in order for them to appear? Same question goes for the DB permissions.

Thanks for any info in advance

• I've not used Express, only Standard, but assuming that the SQL version isn't the cause of the issue then the following information might help identify the cause of the problem:

Does the instance on port 1438 work? I'm trying to work out if it's an issue with the instance on port 1433 or, possibly, a server level issue.

I'm not sure from your comments whether SSMS works? If it does then is this from the server that is running Express or from another machine?

Thanks

• Is your TCP/IP protocol enabled for your SQL Server Instance? can you telnet that port and get in?

Please post the exact error its giving.

• Thanks as1981 for the info. the instance running port 1433 for my EPO server runs without any issues. i can connect to the both instances via SSMS on the VM running the servers. however when i connect from a remote computer via SSMS only the one instance of 1433 will show even though i am selecting the DB for the instance running from port 1438.
    To answer Alejandro Santana's question, TCP/IP is enabled for that instance. however i am unsure as to what section i need to input info into IP1, IP2, IP3, IP4. i will try the telnet test and post when i have an update. are you wanting the error when trying to set up the ODBC where the 67 and 17 error pops up or from telnet?

Thanks again for the info

• wolfspirits - Monday, June 18, 2018 4:58 PM

To answer Alejandro Santana's question, TCP/IP is enabled for that instance. however i am unsure as to what section i need to input info into IP1, IP2, IP3, IP4. i will try the telnet test and post when i have an update. are you wanting the error when trying to set up the ODBC where the 67 and 17 error pops up or from telnet?

Thanks again for the info

Yes, the exact error that the ODBC is showing. regarding to IP1,IP2,IP n you don't have to touch these.
    is this a named instance or a default instance?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply