Object visibility in QA and EM

• Hello,

Does anyone have any suggestion to why Query Analyzer shows all the objects in a DB, that the user has access to, with object browser and not just the ones the user has any permissions on?

Like why have they implemented 'sp_MShasdbaccess' to not show DBs the user doesn't have access to but no 'sp_MShasobjectaccess'? It seems inconsistent to me. And since they have so rigorously used full object names when QA asks for objects (select id, owner = user_name(uid), name, status from [myDB].dbo.sysobjects where type = N'U' order by name), you can't construct your own views (one view per user) and let QA select from those instead...

Someone has any ideas here? Likewise for Enterprise Manager. Even though it is more consistent and shows all DBs and all objects

• This is a nice question for the MS folks, I am pretty sure most of us can't answer this one because it requires input directly from the actual developers/ Architects.

But I do agree with you that it would had helped me tremendously in detecting Faulty permissions Like MS ACCESS DOES (it only shows the objects you have permissions on)

* Noel

• Thanx for sharing my conundrum. Do you know any good place to ask this question? Like some MS forum which is used my the developers?

• Does anyone know if SQL Server 2005 Management Studio addresses this annoyance.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply