Object variables, ADO Recordsets, & decrypting column

• sgmunson - Friday, June 8, 2018 7:55 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, June 6, 2018 10:11 AM

<headdesk>

Found out what the problem is.

My PC is hosed. Something (we're not sure what) won't let Visual Studio see the .dll in the Windows\System32 folder even though we see it in Windows Explorer. Another something (or maybe the same something) won't let me use the .dll at all, even referenced in the once place that VS can see.

My code / package works fine on someone else's machine. Just not on mine. Talk about frustration! 🙁

Just wondering if the .dll file in question is registered in your local GAC ?

My PC is hosed. I can't register the .dll. And when I try, I get all sorts of other fun errors. Because my PC is hosed.

Putting this into context, I was an early adopter of the new PC builds in house. Some things got screwed up in the early builds that work-arounds were implemented for. Well, the work-arounds sort of worked on my box (and sort of didn't). I knew there were problems, but they were, at the time, surmountable. Until I needed to do something that required access and tools that the bad builds aren't giving me. I wasn't sure this was the issue until I got other people involved and they confirmed they could run my SSIS package and script task with no issues on their boxes. Now the help desk is building me a new box, with the fixed version of the OS / tools build, and I just have to muddle through until the new box is done.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Friday, June 8, 2018 8:06 AM

sgmunson - Friday, June 8, 2018 7:55 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, June 6, 2018 10:11 AM

<headdesk>

Found out what the problem is.

My PC is hosed. Something (we're not sure what) won't let Visual Studio see the .dll in the Windows\System32 folder even though we see it in Windows Explorer. Another something (or maybe the same something) won't let me use the .dll at all, even referenced in the once place that VS can see.

My code / package works fine on someone else's machine. Just not on mine. Talk about frustration! 🙁

Just wondering if the .dll file in question is registered in your local GAC ?

My PC is hosed. I can't register the .dll. And when I try, I get all sorts of other fun errors. Because my PC is hosed.

Putting this into context, I was an early adopter of the new PC builds in house. Some things got screwed up in the early builds that work-arounds were implemented for. Well, the work-arounds sort of worked on my box (and sort of didn't). I knew there were problems, but they were, at the time, surmountable. Until I needed to do something that required access and tools that the bad builds aren't giving me. I wasn't sure this was the issue until I got other people involved and they confirmed they could run my SSIS package and script task with no issues on their boxes. Now the help desk is building me a new box, with the fixed version of the OS / tools build, and I just have to muddle through until the new box is done.

Yep, that's hosed alright...  when you can't register a dll in the GAC without causing all kinds of other problems, that's a serious hosure..  (note: new word, here, pronounced ho' - zure).   Good luck with the limping along, and hope you don't run into any more of that ...

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply