Object Level Recovery Tool

• I'm looking for an Object Level Recovery Tool. The only references I've found by searching online is for Red Gate's tool that is no longer supported. Idera also had a tool called SQL Virtual Database but it doesn't appear to be available anymore either. I would like to mount, or otherwise read directly from a .bak file to retrieve either specific database objects or run a query to retrieve data. I thought this would be a common need among database administrators so I'm surprised that I'm having such a difficult time finding anything.

Can you make some suggestions or point me to a blog or forum that discusses current available tools? Thanks.

• dphlps - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 10:13 AM

I'm looking for an Object Level Recovery Tool. The only references I've found by searching online is for Red Gate's tool that is no longer supported. Idera also had a tool called SQL Virtual Database but it doesn't appear to be available anymore either. I would like to mount, or otherwise read directly from a .bak file to retrieve either specific database objects or run a query to retrieve data. I thought this would be a common need among database administrators so I'm surprised that I'm having such a difficult time finding anything.

Can you make some suggestions or point me to a blog or forum that discusses current available tools? Thanks.

Another option would be that LiteSpeed backups have a way of doing something similar to what you are looking for with object level restores. It has several caveats and I don't remember much of them. It should be in the users guide:
    LiteSpeed for SQL Server 8.5 - User Guide

Sue

• Sue_H - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 11:17 AM

dphlps - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 10:13 AM

I'm looking for an Object Level Recovery Tool. The only references I've found by searching online is for Red Gate's tool that is no longer supported. Idera also had a tool called SQL Virtual Database but it doesn't appear to be available anymore either. I would like to mount, or otherwise read directly from a .bak file to retrieve either specific database objects or run a query to retrieve data. I thought this would be a common need among database administrators so I'm surprised that I'm having such a difficult time finding anything.

Another option would be that LiteSpeed backups have a way of doing something similar to what you are looking for with object level restores. It has several caveats and I don't remember much of them. It should be in the users guide:
    LiteSpeed for SQL Server 8.5 - User Guide

Sue

Thanks, it looks like it does have that capability. I appreciate the lead.

• IIRC, SQL Clone from Red-Gate can create a clone of a DB from a backup file, pretty much like Virtual DB used to do

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply