Object explorer disappeared from SSMS

• My object explorer has just vanished from SSMS. Whether I select it from the menu or press F8, nothing happens. It doesn't open and doesn't appear in the list of active windows.

Rather oddly, it does appear if I run SSMS in full screen mode , but disappears again as soon as I revert to normal mode.

Anyone know how I can get it back?

• It could just be that its off screen somewhere.

Not sure if this applies to you, but I worked on a laptop with extra monitor, and as any windows can be floating/dockable, if I shutdown SSMS with a floating window on the monitor, then next time I opened SSMS there was no monitor attached - the floating window would be 'missing' .

In this case the way to get it back is, with SSMS selected, CTRL + TAB, you get a list of the current SSMS windows, If object exporer appears in that list, then arrow down to it to select it, then go to the Window menu and select 'Tabbed Document' - it will snap back to its place.

EDIT: at least thats how it works for SSMS 2005 (just noticed this is a 2008 post)

• That didn't work (but thanks for the suggestion). It did show up in the CTRL-TAB window, but still didn't appear when I selected it.

However, while mucking about with this, I noticed the "Reset Window Layout" option in the window menu. Selecting this seems to have done the trick.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply