Number of SQL Server DB's

• page853 (9/23/2016)

Thnks.

So in order to find out how the instance is performing

a) do i need to use Perfmon - and if so which parameters do i need to monitor? ( also if i do use perfmon will it be resource hungry?)

b) use some of the other stored procedure type scripts suggested previously?

Basically my manager thinks we can just use server task manager to determine how the db is performing - which my gut feel said was invalid

1) perfmon is very light-weight and you can pretty much run it around the clock without much effect on server. What to track is a huge "it depends" I think. Honestly I hardly ever use it because I get what I need from within SQL Server

2) sp_whoisactive, differential file IO stall analysis, differential wait stats analysis are what I use 80+% of the time, along with some of Glenn Berry's SQL Server Diagnostics script queries.

3) Task Manager is useless for monitoring SQL Server database performance. Tell your manager to stay away from SQL Server because he/she clearly doesn't know what they are talking about. 😀

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Thanks Guru

Pretty much confirmed what i thought.

Before i left HP ( on the Rolls Royce account in Derby) i set up some perfmon monitor collections, and wrote it up, but cant find the blasted thing! Also it was at the behest of the senior architect( who did know what he was doing) - i wouldnt be sure how to interpret the results

We haven't even got any maintenence plans set up. Not sure they will make that much diff , but also should at least know what state the tables are in. We do nothing. I dispair. And after 12 years we're still using classic asp....

• page853 (9/24/2016)

Thanks Guru

Pretty much confirmed what i thought.

Before i left HP ( on the Rolls Royce account in Derby) i set up some perfmon monitor collections, and wrote it up, but cant find the blasted thing! Also it was at the behest of the senior architect( who did know what he was doing) - i wouldnt be sure how to interpret the results

We haven't even got any maintenence plans set up. Not sure they will make that much diff , but also should at least know what state the tables are in. We do nothing. I dispair. And after 12 years we're still using classic asp....

Just hack ... er log back into HP on the back-door account you left open and get what you need. You DID leave a back-door account, right?!? :w00t:

I hope by "maintenance plans" you don't actually mean, you know MAINTENANCE PLANS, right?!? You will instead be using Ola's stuff to do all of your MX?!?

I built a classic asp application for a company in 2000-2001. And they are STILL using it!! Works fine, lasts a LONG time if you did things right. They have processed something like $30B worth of small $ transactions through it to date and it still rocks on.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012

• We're still building jn classic asp - on server 2012 now...

Yes those Rolls-Royce servers in a triple walled data centre!

• Whats Ola's stuff

Im not a,SQL Server dba , but need to know a lot more

• if you search ola sql server maintenance, guess who pops up at the very top of the list. :hehe:

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012

• Thnks!

Im being an idiot now!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply