NUMA and PLE on SQL Server 2012

• Thanks for the feedback on this. Did they post a public hotfix yet or is it still a private build? If the latter, please post the link here.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• TheSQLGuru (4/11/2013)

Thanks for the feedback on this. Did they post a public hotfix yet or is it still a private build? If the latter, please post the link here.

It is still a private build. Below is the email we received from the MS Development team.

"We are done with the data analysis and have confirmed that this behavior is a bug. We have a private fix for this issue available now. Do you have a test environment on which we can validate this fix? Assuming the issue is reproducible in your test environment."

If anyone else is experiencing this issue, feel free to PM me offline and I can provide our SR number. Might save some time when contacting MS.

• For mine, we received a private build, basically a direct copy over the sqlservr.exe and a few dll's. It took us to the following @@version. Tommy, I'd be curious as to whether you end up with the same version if you take the fix.

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (SP1) - 11.0.3351.0 (X64)

Apr 5 2013 10:52:23

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation

Enterprise Edition: Core-based Licensing (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

• allmhuran (4/11/2013)

For mine, we received a private build, basically a direct copy over the sqlservr.exe and a few dll's. It took us to the following @@version. Tommy, I'd be curious as to whether you end up with the same version if you take the fix.

Enterprise Edition: Core-based Licensing (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

Same build - 3351 😉

• Tommy Bollhofer (4/11/2013)

allmhuran (4/11/2013)

For mine, we received a private build, basically a direct copy over the sqlservr.exe and a few dll's. It took us to the following @@version. Tommy, I'd be curious as to whether you end up with the same version if you take the fix.

Same build - 3351 😉

FYI, we ran into a bunch of issues with CLR using this build (3351)

Failed to initialize the Common Language Runtime (CLR) v4.0.30319 with HRESULT 0x8013141a.

Apparently the product team is looking into it. I'll let you know if we receive a different build to address it.

• Haha, likewise. The problem is a version incompatibility between sqlservr.exe and sqlaccess.dll. We've just been sent a link to an updated one, but we had already decided to roll back to RTM, couldn't wait any longer.

RTM seems much better. I'm going to hold out for SP2.

• allmhuran (4/16/2013)

Haha, likewise. The problem is a version incompatibility between sqlservr.exe and sqlaccess.dll. We've just been sent a link to an updated one, but we had already decided to roll back to RTM, couldn't wait any longer.

RTM seems much better. I'm going to hold out for SP2.

We disabled strong name validation to work around the CLR issue; i.e.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\StrongName\Verification\*,*]

Testing thus far confirms build 3351 resolves the issue. I imagine we will see this make its way into CU4 and SP2.

• I'm not 100% convinced. We only had one weekday with the hotfix installed, but this graph of timeouts captured on the application servers seems to indicate pretty clearly that RTM is better than SP1 with and without the 3351 fix installed:

• I also have a very similar issue.

Are you saying that you fixed your PLE-problem by rolling back to the RTM version ?

Are you using plain RTM, or have you applied any CU?

• 2012 RTM is definitely better than SP1. No CU's applied, although if you go to 7 it should be OK, apparently this specific problem appeared with SP1.

Having said that, in my opinion 2008R2 running on half the hardware was performing better than 2012 RTM is performing. Unfortunately infrastructure can't provide me with detailed stats from that far back for a proper comparison.

• allmhuran (4/24/2013)

Having said that, in my opinion 2008R2 running on half the hardware was performing than 2012 RTM.

WOW! That's quite a statement!! :crying:

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• allmhuran (4/18/2013)

I'm not 100% convinced. We only had one weekday with the hotfix installed, but this graph of timeouts captured on the application servers seems to indicate pretty clearly that RTM is better than SP1 with and without the 3351 fix installed:

After several days of testing, I'm not convinced either. I stood up an RTM instance after you posted this for good measure and I'm seeing the same behavior. Still some work to do with the 3351 build. MS is supposedly going to produce a new build in the coming weeks for us to test.

• FYI, it would appear CU4 for SQL Server 2012 SP1 is immanent based on KB2828205. It is my understanding CU4 will correct the memory management issue which was broken in SP1; discussed here as well as in this thread. The link to the KB article regarding CU4 is broken however.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Uploads/image-unavailable.png

• CU4 for SQL Server 2012 has been released which corrects this issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2845380

CU4 is available for download via:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2833645

• We may go to CU4, but we're still investigating general performance issues on the 2012 RTM instance.

I have a good amount of data that can be repeatably produced by a long running, well defined process. It's going to take a while to come to any conclusions but Microsoft is looking at the data as are a few generous, high profile community members who have taken an interest.

I'll post any useful information in this thread as well as the similar one that I started.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply