Nulls in the FileTable

• kslentz (10/1/2015)

Not a good question for 2008 R2 users with no FileTable experience. Researching on MSDN (curious about the FileTable and the structure) gives an incorrect answer. Bummer!!

I'm in the same situation with SQL 2008. I researched it and came up with the wrong answer. If nothing else, this provided a perfect example of how MSDN is wrong sometimes. This certainly isn't the first time.

• timwell (10/1/2015)

With regard to last_access_time, there is a note from a Michael Quinlan on the version of the FileTable Schema page that comes up on the search in technet with some corrections:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg492084(v=sql.110).aspx

He also mentions that Name should say "not null"

But...is Michael correct? Note that MSDN for 2016 still say's it's not null

Gerald Britton, Pluralsight courses

• Exactly

• g.britton (10/1/2015)

timwell (10/1/2015)

With regard to last_access_time, there is a note from a Michael Quinlan on the version of the FileTable Schema page that comes up on the search in technet with some corrections:

OK I just set up a new filetable and use sp_help to tell me about the schema. I found (a bit messy, sorry):

Column_nameTypeComputedLengthPrecScaleNullableTrimTrailingBlanksFixedLenNullInSourceCollation

stream_id uniqueidentifierno16 no(n/a)(n/a)NULL

file_stream varbinaryno-1 yesnoyesNULL

name nvarcharno510 no(n/a)(n/a)SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

path_locator hierarchyidno892 no(n/a)noNULL

parent_path_locatorhierarchyidyes892 yes(n/a)yesNULL

file_type nvarcharyes510 yes(n/a)(n/a)SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

cached_file_size bigintyes819 0 yes(n/a)(n/a)NULL

creation_time datetimeoffsetno1034 7 no(n/a)(n/a)NULL

last_write_time datetimeoffsetno1034 7 no(n/a)(n/a)NULL

last_access_time datetimeoffsetno1034 7 yes(n/a)(n/a)NULL

is_directory bit no1 no(n/a)(n/a)NULL

is_offline bitno1 no(n/a)(n/a)NULL

is_hidden bitno1 no(n/a)(n/a)NULL

is_readonly bitno1 no(n/a)(n/a)NULL

is_archive bitno1 no(n/a)(n/a)NULL

is_system bitno1 no(n/a)(n/a)NULL

is_temporary bitno1 no(n/a)(n/a)NULL

Michael is mostly correct, if sp_help is correct. THe date columns are reported as datetimeoffset, not datetime2

Gerald Britton, Pluralsight courses

• g.britton (10/1/2015)

timwell (10/1/2015)

Close enough for me, I use 2008 R2 and got the QOTD correct... 😎

• Well darn. I trusted Books Online instead of testing it out for myself. Good to know. Thanks Andy.

• It looks simple, but eventually a lot discussion.

That's when you learn the most !

• Curiously despite being allowed NULL, the last_access_time column has a default value of (sysdatetimeoffset()) 😉

• rabih_karam (10/1/2015)

Is really this is the correct answer ?

:w00t::w00t::cool::cool:

I'm pretty sure ieither it isn't or BOL is wrong, possibly both. The FileTable schema BOL page shows last_accesstime as datetime2(4) not null with default current time, in the 2012, 2014, and 2016 versions of the page (all of which are wrong, as the type and length are not as shown) and it seems that the column is set to the currrent datetimeoffset when teh filetable is created (as is the last write column). There's a correction suggested on the 2012 page, but that was added 3 years ago and BOL is still giving the same story today. I guess I could try overwriting that column with NULL if I cared enough to find out, but it's definitely a column that shouldn't be nullable (for the same reason the last write time isn't nullable) although it's not too harmful if it is.

Tom

• Thanks for the question.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply