NULL Values and Joins

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item NULL Values and Joins

• I accept I got it wrong, but what do you mean the second transaction fails? Only the insert null into the primary key field statement fails. There are no failed inserts on Table2.

• Nice question, but only 1 point?

Transactions and the NULL insert in the primary key have actually nothing to do with the actual question, they just serve as trickery in my opinion.

And I don't really get the last line of the explanation. B not C is the correct answer?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• No rows were inserted into table2? B not C is the correct answer? Terrible, terrible explanation 🙂

• vk-kirov (12/20/2010)

No rows were inserted into table2? B not C is the correct answer? Terrible, terrible explanation 🙂

The explanation is more terrible than the question: I should read it at least 7 times!

:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

• I have to disagree with the answer. I ran the code on SQL server 2005 and got the following output:

abcd

4join14join2

4join14join2

2join32one

2join32one

1oneNULLNULL

NULLNULLNULLtwo

NULLNULLNULLthree

As I had worked out the same output before running and answering the question I decided that A, B, D and E could not possibly be correct so went for C as the only remaining option.

What have I missed?

• philip.cullingworth (12/20/2010)

I have to disagree with the answer. I ran the code on SQL server 2005 and got the following output:

abcd

4join14join2

4join14join2

2join32one

2join32one

1oneNULLNULL

NULLNULLNULLtwo

NULLNULLNULLthree

As I had worked out the same output before running and answering the question I decided that A, B, D and E could not possibly be correct so went for C as the only remaining option.

What have I missed?

Your output has 7 rows and the column d contains "three" for the 7th row, so it should be answer D.

• da-zero (12/20/2010)

Your output has 7 rows and the column d contains "three" for the 7th row, so it should be answer D.

But Answer D is

7 rows where column d = three

I only have 1 row where column d = three :ermm:

da-zero (12/20/2010)

But Answer D is

Please, read carefully the question: it asks how many rows are in the results and what is the value of column "d" on the last row.

• Carlo Romagnano (12/20/2010)

Please, read carefully the question: it asks how many rows are in the results and what is the value of column "d" on the last row.

:blush: That will teach me. I read the code and assumed what the actual question would be. Can I blame being up in the middle of the night defrosting water pipes?

But Answer D is

I had read the answers several times before I realized there were some skipped words: "7 rows where [the value of] column d [in the last row] = three" :hehe:

• I don't understand how the first transaction could succeed given the attempt to insert the null value into the not-null field "a". Also, why is the last insert of the second transaction, VALUES(2 ,'one'), invalid? Help, I'm confused.

• ian.grace (12/20/2010)

I don't understand how the first transaction could succeed given the attempt to insert the null value into the not-null field "a". Also, why is the last insert of the second transaction, VALUES(2 ,'one'), invalid? Help, I'm confused.

As posted above by vk-kirov and others, the explanation is terrible with a lot of mistakes.

• ian.grace (12/20/2010)

I don't understand how the first transaction could succeed given the attempt to insert the null value into the not-null field "a". Also, why is the last insert of the second transaction, VALUES(2 ,'one'), invalid? Help, I'm confused.

The first transaction succeeds because it is an explicit transaction. Those will only fail if you explicitly issue a ROLLBACK statement, which isn't the case. Since a COMMIT was issued, the 2 other INSERTS in the transaction are committed to the database.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply