NULL quandry

• I have a situation where I'm trying to determine if a value has changed.  I expected to be able to determine easier if the record had NOT changed by doing the following:
    WHERE NOT ((@OldValue IS NULL AND @NewValue IS NULL) OR (@OldValue = @NewValue))
    however the above situation fails to work whenever either @OldValue or @NewValue are NULL.  Interestingly, if I do the following it works just fine:
    WHERE CASE WHEN ((@OldValue IS NULL AND @NewValue IS NULL) OR (@OldValue = @NewValue)) THEN 0 ELSE 1 END = 1
    Apparently the NOT operator is failing.  While I do have a work-around, I'm curious if anyone has an idea why the NOT operator fails.  I know that there are some who will say for me to not use NULLs, but as with many of us, I don't have a choice in this matter as this is what I have to work with at the moment.

Here is a bit of sample code that replicates the issue:
    DECLARE @OldValue INT,
            @NewValue INT;

SELECT @OldValue AS "Old Value", @NewValue AS "New Value", 'Value is changed' AS msg
    WHERE NOT ((@OldValue IS NULL AND @NewValue IS NULL) OR (@OldValue = @NewValue));

SET @NewValue = 1;

SELECT @OldValue AS "Old Value", @NewValue AS "New Value", 'Value is changed' AS msg
    WHERE NOT ((@OldValue IS NULL AND @NewValue IS NULL) OR (@OldValue = @NewValue));

SET @OldValue = @NewValue;
    SET @NewValue = 0;

SET @NewValue = null;

SET @OldValue = null;
    SET @NewValue = null;

WHERE CASE WHEN ((@OldValue IS NULL AND @NewValue IS NULL) OR (@OldValue = @NewValue)) THEN 0 ELSE 1 END = 1;

SET @NewValue = 1;

WHERE CASE WHEN ((@OldValue IS NULL AND @NewValue IS NULL) OR (@OldValue = @NewValue)) THEN 0 ELSE 1 END = 1;

SET @NewValue = 0;

SET @NewValue = null;

• Instead of this
    WHERE NOT ((@OldValue IS NULL AND @NewValue IS NULL) OR (@OldValue = @NewValue))
    Try this
    WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT @OldValue INTERSECT SELECT @NewValue)

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin - Thursday, January 18, 2018 11:16 AM

Instead of this
    Try this
    WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT @OldValue INTERSECT SELECT @NewValue)

That, my friend, is a smashing good idea and it works quite well!  I never thought of using INTERSECT with single values before.
    Thanks a bunch!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply