Now THIS is a Workstation

• HP has a new workstation! and it's just what I want.

OK, so it's not a workstation. It's actually a coffee table, but I've been talking about this for years. This is when I get rid of paper, when I get a 3 foot x 4 foot desktop that's a complete monitor and I can use a stylus or something to move windows or reports, emails, etc. around.

Actually the coolest thing I saw as far as a mock up in a movie, The Island had a great one. That cool little pyramid thing that could move windows around on the desktop, open, close, etc. Much better than Minority Report. That one was too complicated and you were standing.

No pricing announced, though it's an interesting idea. Especially if they can get it be kid proof, no spilled beverages, people leaning on it, etc. Not sure about the coffee table thing, maybe it would be better as a card table, puzzle table, etc. It certainly is a better idea than the TV in the fridge one.

That still amazes me every time I go to Best Buy and see one. We recently bought a fridge and the kids lobbied hard for it, but I couldn't.

Still I could modify that coffee table to be my workstation 🙂

As a home thing, I was more hoping to see a widescreen TV, like a 42inch iMAc with 1/2 TV and 1/2 Browser/computer. Maybe next year.

Steve Jones

• It's unbelievable. As time goes by we have got less gadgets, machines all over our homes.. I am trying to convice my wife to have a big laptop for see TV, digital TV, sky and so forth and so get rid stuff.

• That new HP Workstation does look cool.

However, wouldn't it hurt your back to be hunched over it all day. It doesn't seem very ergonomical. I could only switch if they offered one with a complimenting ergonomical chair or something.

Just my two cents. Love your editorials, though. Keep up the good work.

Chad

• If you can pivot and or raise the screen it would almost be ideal. Very batman.

I suppose it showing up on the Antiques Roadshow would be inevitable.

• Ah, but I'd put it up on my desk. Maybe a nice 30 incline to it.

• Although it does look great, I don't know of I like where all this new technoloy takes us.

Would it mean I would have to clear away last nights beer bottles and pizza crusts before I can check my mail in the morning? (now that is where the incline would come in real handy)

• I've been wanting a monitor this big for years too. Basically, my actual desktop would be one big monitor, and I wouldn't have any piles of paper.

• Does the end table double as a printer then???

• I agree that the one in the Island was probably the slickest (even if it was only a mock up) that I've seen.  Back in its day, I thought the Lawnmower Man interface was cool, but looking at it now it seems kind of hokie. 

I remember a couple of years ago seeing a surfboard with a wireless tablet PC built right into the deck.  So you could literally surf the web while you were surfing.  Kind of a cool idea but personally when I'm on the water, I prefer to be as disconnected as possible. 

And then there was the guy who built a PC in a whiskey bottle:

http://www.metku.net/index.html?sect=view&n=1&path=mods/whiskypc/index_eng4

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• All you need if it is touch screen then is a virtual keyboard and all is well with the world.

• If you did turn it into a card table I wonder if you could get it to read the ars on the table? whatever it cost it could pay for itself in a matter of months.

• what a great coffee table, now dem little old dears can play sodoku and snake and ladders(with their grandchildren) kids could spill their juices or paints and you could wipe it clean , although id put a lock on the cd drive incase one thought it was a tongue and tried to make a teddy fight the evil coffee table monster

• Shouldn't they take the edges off the corners for mac users?

• Yes, if only it could be that big AND be 100-pixels per inch. What would that make that resolution though...8000x4000?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply