not your typical sp_spaceused question...

• I'm missing something here- maybe someone can help me out:

I have a database who's size on disk is about 340GB. The .mdf is 337GB and the log is about 3GB. When I look at the properties of this database in managment studio, it show what I would expect- the db is about 340GB with little "space avaialble". SP_Space used agreees with this, showing about 337GB of "reserved space" total- 320GB is data and 17GB is indexes.

the problem is- I cant explain where all that space is coming from. Using two different, similar queries to total up the size of all objects in the database, I can account for only about 90GB of data. I can't figure out what I am missing.

The first method I am using is Bill Graziano's famous "find big tables script". Because I'm scratching my head so furiously, I also ran another, similar script and still can not account for 2/3 of the space in this database.

I have run DBCC checkdb (with Physical_only) and DBCC updateusage to no avail. Any idea about what I could be missing here?

Script I am using to get size of objects:

SELECT [Table Name], (SELECT rows FROM sysindexes s WHERE s.indid < 2 AND s.id = OBJECT_ID(a.[Table Name])) AS [Row count], [Total space used (MB)], FileGroup FROM

(

SELECT QUOTENAME(USER_NAME(o.uid)) + '.' + QUOTENAME(OBJECT_NAME(i.id)) AS [Table Name],

CONVERT(numeric(15,2),(((CONVERT(numeric(15,2),SUM(i.reserved)) * (SELECT low FROM master.dbo.spt_values (NOLOCK) WHERE number = 1 AND type = 'E')) / 1024.)/1024.)) AS [Total space used (MB)], f.name As FileGroup

FROM sys.sysindexes i (NOLOCK)

INNER JOIN

sysobjects o (NOLOCK)

ON

i.id = o.id AND

((1= 1 AND o.type IN ('U', 'S')) OR o.type = 'U') AND

((1 = 1)OR (OBJECTPROPERTY(i.id, 'IsMSShipped') = 0))

INNER JOIN sys.filegroups f

ON i.groupid = f.data_space_id

WHERE indid IN (0, 1, 255)

AND i.groupid = f.data_space_id

GROUP BY QUOTENAME(USER_NAME(o.uid)) + '.' + QUOTENAME(OBJECT_NAME(i.id)), f.name

) as a

ORDER BY [Total space used (MB)] DESC

• Try the query here.

http://jasonbrimhall.info/2011/11/17/table-space-revised-again/

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Thank you- sir. That did the trick.

• You are welcome.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply