Not So Anonymous

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Not So Anonymous

• As a start, keep all internet signups that don't actually necessitate real names under pseudonyms (different ones for different subjects). Here is some help:

http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/

It produces credible names and addresses with zip codes

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Thanks for the link, Jay, I'm going to have to check that out.

I spent a year contracting for a state education administration, developing a system that fed their student annual test performance statistics into No Child Left Behind's data store. Very interesting work. Lots of the data sets were broken down by age or grade, ethnicity, gender, fairly standard stuff for statistical analysis. There was a requirement that if there were 1-4 people in a particular segment, I had to report the number of kids in that group as 5, as otherwise it would be fairly easy to specifically identify the student. Even five is a low number for some school populations, but that's the way it was.

As a result, some data sets would show a different number of students than was reported in the total student counts for the school.

I never review books on Amazon and only rarely on IMDB, now I think I'll make it a point not to! :ermm:

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Don't stop reviewing! That breaks down the system. Instead I'd recommend setting up a hotmail or free account and a fake name and review them under another alias. At least then we are still sharing information with each other.

So many wonderful apps would die off if people were afraid to post, including this site. I enjoy the interaction with so many of you, even if I don't know many names 🙂

• Steve Jones - Editor (12/27/2007)

So many wonderful apps would die off if people were afraid to post, including this site. I enjoy the interaction with so many of you, even if I don't know many names 🙂

And you can watch us through our monitors, right? (For those not in the know, that was the other part of the site upgrade.) Hey Steve, check out this new sweater I got for Christmas! 😛

There is no "i" in team, but idiot has two.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply