Not In

• Same problem if you specify a subquery in the NOT IN clause instead of values.

If one row returned from the subquery contains NULL, the main query doesn't return rows.

SELECT * FROM Statuses s

WHERE s.Stat not in(SELECT top 2 Statuses.Stat FROM Statuses ORDER BY Statuses.Stat)

• Great question, nice and straightforward.

Without getting into the detail, comparing against NULL other than using IS or IS NOT mostly results in nothing.

• Strange that the discussion is about the fact that the explanation is incorrect, and that no one says that the anwers is incorrect. The correct answer is 0, and not nothing. 😀

• Woooohooooo 1 is mine today. 🙂

SELECT ID, Name FROM

(

SELECT 1 AS ID, 'Active' AS name

UNION ALL

SELECT 2, 'Active'

UNION ALL

SELECT 3, 'InActive'

UNION ALL

SELECT 4, NULL

UNION ALL

SELECT 5, 'Idle'

UNION ALL

SELECT 6, 'Idle'

) AS a

WHERE

a.name NOT IN(NULL, 'Idle')

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

• Because the ANSI_NULLS is on, if you set it off , it will show and work

I born to learn forever!

• hamid_exe2007 (3/1/2012)

Because the ANSI_NULLS is on, if you set it off , it will show and work

Awesome 🙂

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

If you set ANSI_NULLS off, your code will be incompatible with current standards and future editions of SQL Server: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188048.aspx

Edit: Might as well make the address a hyperlink.

• Very easy remedy to this problem: ISNULL() function

select * from Statuses s

Where ISNULL(s.Stat,'NULL') not in ('NULL', 'Idle')

• sknox (3/1/2012)

hamid_exe2007 (3/1/2012)

If you set ANSI_NULLS off, your code will be incompatible with current standards and future editions of SQL Server: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188048.aspx

As the artical say "Also, when you execute a SELECT statement, if SET ANSI_NULLS is OFF, SQL Server will ignore the index values on computed columns or views and resolve the select operation as if there were no such indexes on the tables or views.

I guess this is the whole point... ON is the default standard, even if still the specific query needed the output, i guess we can turn it off and on in that batch to get the data, but not to set it to OFF as a default option.

SET ANSI_NULLS OFF

GO

SELECT ID, Name FROM

(

UNION ALL

SELECT 2, 'Active'

UNION ALL

SELECT 3, 'InActive'

UNION ALL

SELECT 4, NULL

UNION ALL

SELECT 5, 'Idle'

UNION ALL

SELECT 6, 'Idle'

) AS a

WHERE

a.name NOT IN(NULL, 'Idle')

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

ww; Raghu
    --

Except that it is deprecated and will not be honored in future versions of SQL Server.

• omyrox (3/1/2012)

Very easy remedy to this problem: ISNULL() function

select * from Statuses s

Where ISNULL(s.Stat,'NULL') not in ('NULL', 'Idle')

Very bad remedy.

#1: ISNULL (or any function for that matter) on the column will destroy all possibilities for an index seek.

#2 NULL is not the same as 'NULL'. You suggestion will go haywire in the real work. 😉

• Agreed on #1

On #2: In the explanation they say that the problem is basically that NULL is not the same datatype as 'Idle', when I used ISNULL() and replaced NULL with string 'NULL' didn't it kind of cast NULL value as a string which is kind of the same as 'Idle'?:unsure:

• omyrox (3/1/2012)

Agreed on #1

On #2: In the explanation they say that the problem is basically that NULL is not the same datatype as 'Idle',

The explanation is wrong. NULL is not a data type. It's a property of the data. Specifically, it means there is no data. A logical test on nothing cannot be resolved as true or false, so returns UNKNOWN. Since NULL is in the list to test against, every row tested returns UNKNOWN, so doesn't satisfy the criteria of the WHERE clause.

when I used ISNULL() and replaced NULL with string 'NULL' didn't it kind of cast NULL value as a string which is kind of the same as 'Idle'?:unsure:

No, when you used ISNULL(), you inserted artificial data to test.

• Raghavendra Mudugal (3/1/2012)

sknox (3/1/2012)

hamid_exe2007 (3/1/2012)

As the artical say "Also, when you execute a SELECT statement, if SET ANSI_NULLS is OFF, SQL Server will ignore the index values on computed columns or views and resolve the select operation as if there were no such indexes on the tables or views.

I guess this is the whole point... ON is the default standard, even if still the specific query needed the output, i guess we can turn it off and on in that batch to get the data, but not to set it to OFF as a default option.

We don't need to use the ANSI_NULLS option. We can simply rewrite the code using logic. Then it's effective, compliant, and future proof.

For example, since a NULL in the column will not be returned anyway, we don't need NULL in the list to test against (since we're using NOT IN). Now the list is a testable list, and will return the results we want. Try this code (I've changed Name in row 6 to 'Active' to show that the NULL in row 4 doesn't stop the query.)

SELECT ID, Name FROM

(

UNION ALL

SELECT 2, 'Active'

UNION ALL

SELECT 3, 'InActive'

UNION ALL

SELECT 4, NULL

UNION ALL

SELECT 5, 'Idle'

UNION ALL

SELECT 6, 'Active'

) AS a

WHERE

a.name NOT IN('Idle')

Now if we needed to return the NULL, we'd use a WHERE clause like this:

WHERE

a.name NOT IN('Idle') or a.name IS NULL

More commonly, if the list is actually another table, which may contain NULLs:

WHERE

a.name NOT IN(SELECT name from UnwantedStatuses WHERE name IS NOT NULL)

• I'm with Nils,

This is everything to do with NULL since IN/NOT IN is just translated into a pile of equivalence tests or not equivalence tests.

!= NULL

using the same query if you add

SET ANSI_NULLS off

You get a whole different result.

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply