Not Excited by Linux

• GilaMonster (1/11/2017)

Eric M Russell (1/11/2017)

GeorgeCopeland (1/11/2017)

SQL Server on Linux makes lots of sense for Azure databases, I don't see tons of use elsewhere.

No doubt someone at this moment is trying to install SQL Server Express edition on an Android phone or a cluster of networked Raspberry Pies.

I have two Raspberry Pis, A long-term project is to get SQL Server (developer edition probably, not Express) running on one. Just to say that I have.

Cool, maybe use both to setup a failover cluster, or is does that depend on Windows Server features?

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

SQL Server on Linux makes lots of sense for Azure databases, I don't see tons of use elsewhere.

No doubt someone at this moment is trying to install SQL Server Express edition on an Android phone or a cluster of networked Raspberry Pies.

I have two Raspberry Pis, A long-term project is to get SQL Server (developer edition probably, not Express) running on one. Just to say that I have.

You might try Intel Joule instead. There are no binaries for Pi's Qualcomm chips.

• Eric M Russell (1/11/2017)

GilaMonster (1/11/2017)

Cool, maybe use both to setup a failover cluster, or is does that depend on Windows Server features?

No idea if/how availability groups work on Linux, but failover clusters require that the nodes are in a Windows cluster.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Revenant (1/11/2017)

GilaMonster (1/11/2017)

You might try Intel Joule instead. There are no binaries for Pi's Qualcomm chips.

Apparently there's x86 emulators for the Pi, so maybe via an emulation layer.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Revenant (1/11/2017)

GilaMonster (1/11/2017)

Maybe. 🙂

• I've installed and configured it, tested DB restoration and pointed a few apps at it with no issues. I agree that it will open new doors for those with Linux/UNIX skills, but I don't see how it would open things up for those without if the job is to support SQL Server on Linux.

Cheers

• SQL Server on Linux has me really excited. It has been a real struggle to learn its nuances and the way it behaves with Microsoft Server. Coming from a primarily Linux based background with MySQL and others it was a real struggle to get acquainted with SQL Server. If I had the option to install even a demo in a Linux environment I could have learned a lot more before starting a new position with a different company. Not all SQL is the same and portable between these vendor interpretations. I personally can't wait and am running through PoC trials to migrate to Linux with SQL Server if for no reason other than familiarity and customization for client environments.

• GilaMonster - Wednesday, January 11, 2017 1:31 PM

Revenant (1/11/2017)

GilaMonster (1/11/2017)

I'm quite interested by that idea, SQL server on a P. Hope your post about it if you do achieve it 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Eric M Russell - Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:11 AM

The last time SQLBits was at Telford there was a bloke who had got SQL Server up and running on an Amazon Fire.

• I started my IT career in the mid-80s using various flavours of UNIX. The most impressive and stable was IBM's AIX running on an RS6000. I then went the Windows route for a number of years until circumstances made the company to switch to Linux/MySQL from WS/MS-SQL. However I did tire of Linux as the attitude was why pay RedHat when we can get another Linux for free and got problems that were never resolved that you could not even escalate. I like MS-SQL and look forward to trying it on Linux providing it is a stable and mature version (of Linux). Linux for desktops is not really gaining traction because of an underlying "hacker" attitude and the common response of "upgrade to the next version". This often creates more issues than it fixes!

• mjh 45389 - Thursday, January 12, 2017 7:02 AM

I started my IT career in the mid-80s using various flavours of UNIX. The most impressive and stable was IBM's AIX running on an RS6000. I then went the Windows route for a number of years until circumstances made the company to switch to Linux/MySQL from WS/MS-SQL. However I did tire of Linux as the attitude was why pay RedHat when we can get another Linux for free and got problems that were never resolved that you could not even escalate. I like MS-SQL and look forward to trying it on Linux providing it is a stable and mature version (of Linux). Linux for desktops is not really gaining traction because of an underlying "hacker" attitude and the common response of "upgrade to the next version". This often creates more issues than it fixes!

Linux in the enterprise requires an on board staff of software engineers. In other words, you really need to know what you are doing. If you don't have that, I recommend Windows.

• GeorgeCopeland - Thursday, January 12, 2017 7:10 AM

mjh 45389 - Thursday, January 12, 2017 7:02 AM

I started my IT career in the mid-80s using various flavours of UNIX. The most impressive and stable was IBM's AIX running on an RS6000. I then went the Windows route for a number of years until circumstances made the company to switch to Linux/MySQL from WS/MS-SQL. However I did tire of Linux as the attitude was why pay RedHat when we can get another Linux for free and got problems that were never resolved that you could not even escalate. I like MS-SQL and look forward to trying it on Linux providing it is a stable and mature version (of Linux). Linux for desktops is not really gaining traction because of an underlying "hacker" attitude and the common response of "upgrade to the next version". This often creates more issues than it fixes!

Linux in the enterprise requires an on board staff of software engineers. In other words, you really need to know what you are doing. If you don't have that, I recommend Windows.

Exactly. A business is taking a tremendous risk by relying on a Google search to support a production environment. I think SQL Server on Linux will take a long time to be a success, if ever.

Cheers

• The value of SQL Serer relative to other database platforms is the stack of services, features, and client tools that come bundled with it. To fully get Linux based organizations on the hook, Microsoft needs to port to Linux most of the enterprise features as well as SSIS, SSRS, and SSAS. Another facet of SQL Server's appeal is it's client tools (like SSMS) and integration with Visual Studio. We now have a iOS version of VS and .NET; or do we? Maybe for the client access and development tools, we can depend on Linux to run them on a virtual host.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• It appears that we will not be trying to run MS-SQL on Linux anytime soon.  The organization has invested a lot of time and money in Microsoft Windows and staff does not seem very interested.  There may come a time (since I know we have some Linux servers) to put MS-SQL on one of those servers.

• I see lots of migration to Azure, and in Azure you don't care which OS is your server running.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply