Not able to connect a named instance remotely on cloud

• Hi,

I am trying to connect to a SQL Server 2008 named instance from another server on cloud, but it is giving the error as "A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections."

I have enabled the TCP/IP and Named Pipes protocols and our server's Windows Firewall is currently off.

Suggest me what should I do?

Thanks & Regards,

Kumar Anand

• This could be caused by a lot of different causes, but the first thing to check in case of a named instance is if the SQL Browser service is started.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• yes...SQL Browser service is running.

• Maybe a silly question.. can you ping the server ?

Cheers

Vultar

• This sounds very much like a firewall issue. Please have a look at my blog post regarding this issue.

Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - Facebook - Twitter

Concatenating Row Values in Transact-SQL[/url]

• For Connection Issues, my Checklist:

•Crosscheck the Server (& the Service) is up & running

•Crosscheck the network connectivity

•Crosscheck the ports availability

•Crosscheck SQL Server Browser Service for Named Instances.

•Crosscheck Firewall.

•And last...Cross check user credentials

Are you done with these?

• I have checked all the stuffs

• The SQL Service is up & running

• Network connectivity is ok

• I assigned Named instance a fix port in TCP\IP protocol.

• SQL Server Browser Service is running.

• Firewall is off.

• User credentials are right

Can I use <NamedInstance>,<portnumber> in my config file?

• Try to connect to IP,port. If that does not work, it is a firewall issue. You may perhaps have one or more firewalls between your client and your server?

• Ananth,

Can you check the port is opened for your machine.

run-->cmd-->telnet servername 2544

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

• muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy (10/20/2011)

telnet servername 2544

Excuse me for asking, but where does 2544 come from? I have not seen any information telling what port number was specified, 2544 is definitely not a standard SQL Server port. If you should happen to mean 1433 instead, please see http://www.mssql.no/Mythbuster/?id=26

• Hmmm...Ole just i gave example to OP to understand it.Still you guys are replied and told all the way but he didn't get it.

• No offence intended, but if you try to keep it simple to understand, perhaps telnet is not the best idea, as telenet client is not installed by default on Windows Vista and later and Windows Server 2008 and later. That's why I said connect using IP address and port number 🙂

• Also..

Can I use Telnet on any computer?

Yes and no. Telnet is a technology which uses a client (the computer that you are connecting from, such as your desktop computer), and a server (the computer that you are connecting to, such as an e-mail server). Access depends on what the administrator lets you do with Telnet access, and your rights on that system. Telnet client is available on Windows, which means that you can connect to almost any Telnet server.

• okbangas (10/20/2011)

No offence intended, but if you try to keep it simple to understand, perhaps telnet is not the best idea, as telenet client is not installed by default on Windows Vista and later and Windows Server 2008 and later. That's why I said connect using IP address and port number 🙂

Good. thanks Ola.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply