None of the IP addresses configured for the availability group listener

• Hi ,

Receiving below error when trying to add listener to AG. Any suggestions please.

ALTER AVAILABILITY GROUP xxxx

ADD LISTENER N'xxxx'

(

WITH IP

(

('xx.xx.xx.xx', 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx')

),

PORT=1433

);

Error:

Msg 19456, Level 16, State 0, Line 1

None of the IP addresses configured for the availability group listener can be hosted by the server 'xxxxxxx'. Either configure a public cluster network on which one of the specified IP addresses can be hosted, or add another listener IP address which can be hosted on a public cluster network for this server.

Thanks.

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• Quick google of the answer brought me to this blog post by Pinal Dave (super smart guy!):

https://blog.sqlauthority.com/2017/02/13/sql-server-fix-error-19456-none-ip-addresses-configured-availability-group-listener-can-hosted-server/

That tells you how to fix it, but to quote what he has in his blog:

Workaround / Solution

I looked at the IP addresses under the network name in the “Failover Cluster Manager” and found that there were two IPs: one in 10.150.xx.xx and one 10.160.xx.xx range. We saw that the replica that we were attempting to add was in 10.140.xx.xx. So, we then added an IP address in the appropriate subnet as a dependency of the network name.

In short, this error can be resolved by adding a right IP to the listener. The IP address for all subnets cannot be an IP address already in use, i.e. The IP address of one of the nodes. After adding above, we again attempted to join the replica. And as expected, the operation succeeded.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply