non clustered index on unique key column

• Hi,

In our local development database, for some tables we are defining both primary key (clustered)

and non clustered on the same column.

But the observation is when there is only primary key is defined, clustered index scan

is occuring but after that if a non clustered index is defined on the same column

then I can see clustered index seek.

I am not sure if this approach is right.

I need your suggestion on this, Correct me if I am wrong

Thanks in Advance

• sorry, about the subject heading

it is "non clustered index on primary key column"

• There are very, very, very few times when it makes sense to put a nonclustered index on the same column as the clustered primary key. Usually it's a waste of space and time. If it's just a nonclustered index on exactly the same column, you won't get an index seek on it unless it's also possible to seek on the clustered index.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Please suggest me a way to avoid clustered index scan when only primary key is defined.

• Write your queries in such a way that they can seek on the primary key, or add indexes to support the queries. Adding a NC index on exactly the same column as the primary key is not going to change a clustered index scan into a clustered index seek.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply