No Stats on Primary Keys and querying missing stats

• Recently I noticed some of my query plans had the yellow warning triangle indicating missing statistics.  
    I have created the suggested missing statistics but now I am wondering whether there are other missing stats

EXEC sp_autostats <table> 

Revealed the lastupdated column on  Primary key columns was null - is this expected?

Then DBCC SHOW_STATISTICS ('Table', 'PK_Column')

Shows all nulls in the header and no entries in the other 2 tables

Which leads me to think Primary key columns don't need statistics? 
    All the PKs I checked were IDENTITY columns.

Is there a standard way of finding missing stats

Or failing that way of querying every key and index column and cross referencing to see if stats exist

• There are was to capture the missing stats. First thing that comes to mind is to run an Extended Event session to capture all of the missing stats notifications.

A question that comes to mind is whether auto create stats is enabled for the database or not. Can you verify if auto stats creation is enabled?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Yes it turns out that auto create statistics, and auto update statistics are off.  I know our DBA runs a daily job to update stats, but obviously that won't do anything about missing stats.

• Tom Brown - Thursday, April 6, 2017 1:09 AM

Yes it turns out that auto create statistics, and auto update statistics are off.  I know our DBA runs a daily job to update stats, but obviously that won't do anything about missing stats.

That solves that mystery.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply