No permission to Cert, asymmetric key, or private key file

• Hello.

I am trying to restore a Db in SQL server 16. It is a developer version installed on windows 10 laptop. We have a backup file from a SaaS instance. We have moved to a new instance of the SaaS and this is our archive from the first instance. This is strictly for archiving purposes. That said, the only was to read this of course is with SQL Server.

Script:

use master ;

-- drop master key encryption by password ='somepassword';

-- create   master key encryption by password ='somepassword';

create certificate BULLHORN14852_45764 from file = 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL13.LEVVEL\MSSQLBULLHORN14852_45764.cer'

with private key (file='C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL13.LEVVEL\MSSQLBULLHORN14852_45764.pvk',

decryption by password = 'somepassword')

I was able to create the master key encryption no problem. When I run the create certificate command I get the famous

"The certificate, asymmetric key, or private key file is not valid or does not exist; or you do not have permissions for it."

I am connected as the local administrator on windows. I have also granted permissions on the folders and the files.

NETWORK SERVICE account does have permission to the folder and the cert, pvk files.

I've been reading that these permissions above are not enough. I haven't administered a SQL DB in 15 years so I need some guidance. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rob.

Viewing 0 posts

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply