No More Transactional Replication with Updatable Subscriptions

• So, Microsoft decided that they were deprecating Transactional Replication with Updatable subscriptions. In that case, you have 2 options (if I am correct): Pay for Enterprise (if you are already not) and use peer-to-peer or use bidirectional transactional replication which is basically setting up a transactional from db1 to db2 and also transactional from db2 to db1.

The issue I see in both cases is conflict resolution. With updatable subscriptions, you could specify how to handle the conflict. With either of these 2 options (from what I can tell) you cannot allow the engine to handle this for you. You must do it manually.

Any thoughts? Seems like a slap in the face to those who have been using MS for years and a damn good reason for companies that rely on updatable subscriptions to not upgrade to 2012.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• For those interested... It seems that they did not "deprecate" the feature of Transactional Replication with Updatable Subscriptions, but removed the option from the Wizard. You can still create a publication through sp_addpublication and then add the subscription (with the same settings) either through the wizard or manually. Seems kind of silly to me.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• Does anyone know if the feature is mentioned my MS as deprecated, or was this just noticed by some in the Wizard? I cannot find any actual MS documentation on the feature being deprecated.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• Well... As a final update I have found that it will in fact be removed later on an MS site.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• SQLKnowItAll (5/31/2012)

Well... As a final update I have found that it will in fact be removed later on an MS site.

Do you have a link to this info?

• Sorry... Clicked send before I pasted it 🙂

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143550%28v=SQL.110%29.aspx

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• That link shows a number of features of updatable subs that are removed - while this says the entire feature (itself) is being deprecated:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151718.aspx

• SQLKnowItAll (5/31/2012)

Well... As a final update I have found that it will in fact be removed later on an MS site.

Hi,

Have you researched your go-to for replacing this feature? I did not know that bi-directional needed a custom conflict resolution, but did with p2p. I had a question posed today about a topology requiring a 'local' server in London, and another set of servers in the US, their thinking was that they wanted to update only a local server. In that case P2P would work, but I can't guarantee only 'limited' DML.

Any other things that you've uncovered that you can share? Sort of a tough nut to crack; Oracle has some good arguments for their built-in methods to handle this. Seems that we have to do a 'hack' in order to match their features (ie mirroring combined with clustering, hag, etc).

Thanks

Lee

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply