no matter how large the destination column eg. nvarchar(max), excel source choke on column

• KoldCoffee (5/19/2013)

Foundation: trust that the person posting the topic wishes to achieve a solution for *that* problem. The person does not want to examine his whole existence and the reason the ocean is blue and build a big arena and paint the ceiling red and then build a model ocean under it, just to see if that adds perspective to the problem. . . just because it is a discussion forum.

I would have to say that I am starting to think the trust issue is on your side Koffee. Try this one out for a foundation: trust that a person offering their time for free is trying to help you and is not simply jerking you around because they have nothing better to do with their time. Consider all factors, including the amount of time they have been a member of the site, how many posts they have, and maybe check out their contributions to the community (articles, previous posts by clicking their name and choosing 'find members posts', blogs, Google, etc.). Maybe you could simply thank them for their effort, no matter how far beneath your intelligence you think it may have emanated from or how far away from the path you think you want to go down it might take you, and move on to respond to others that are getting you farther down your intended path. I say, it is too bad you are responding this way to a free offering of help. Here are a couple sayings for you:

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Keep an open mind.

đŸ˜‰

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• KoldCoffee (5/20/2013)

In that case I was trying to learn cursors, and there was no better way. I even prefaced and said something like, I don't want to be talked out of a cursor because I am aware of pros and cons...in the hopes of avoiding getting derailed.

Otherwise, I always agree with platitudes.

Okay, here is my opinion about learning cursors, should be done as a last resort or in an effort to figure out what someone else has done using cursors in an effort to replace with a set-based solution.

The problem I have seen is that once someone has figured out how to use a cursor, every problem after that is solved with a cursor. And things work great when run against 10 to 100 records, but then you find people nesting cursors and running those nested cursors against tables with 1,000's to 10'000's of records and wondering why the process is extremely slow.

One of the things we try to do here on SSC is pass on our knowledge and experience in an effort to make others better at their chosen craft without necessarily having to make the same mistakes we made in learning when resources like this weren't available. I had worked with SQL Server for over 7 years before I became involved on SSC, and I learned more about doing things right in my first 5 years of active participation on SSC then in the previous 7 years before that.

I am trying hard to give back to a community that helped me learn more because it is the right thing to do, not to make me feel better or superior to others.

• Well, i'm not going to say anymore, other than, thank you all for your time.

• Careful thought before I ask the following:

Would it be ok with you not to post to my topics for about 6 months? There are so many people on the forums to help and I am not posting every day or every week, but every time I do you are on there! Even Celko does not get on me every single time about my DDL not being fully normalized and datatypes correctly defined. You know, DDL is often created to be adequate for illustrating the problem...etc. and Celko, while he *has a point* is heavy handed with it at time where it is clear the person posting is not addressing normalization.

• KoldCoffee (5/21/2013)

Careful thought before I ask the following:

Would it be ok with you not to post to my topics for about 6 months? There are so many people on the forums to help and I am not posting every day or every week, but every time I do you are on there! Even Celko does not get on me every single time about my DDL not being fully normalized and datatypes correctly defined. You know, DDL is often created to be adequate for illustrating the problem...etc. and Celko, while he *has a point* is heavy handed with it at time where it is clear the person posting is not addressing normalization.

I have never gone off on anyone for posting table definitions that were not normalized or did not have PK defined, or weren't using proper data types in the manner of Mr. Celko. I may mention that dates should not be stored as integer or character values, but I also realize that you sometimes are stuck with the decisions of others. I do recommend trying to change those but again realize that may not be possible.

Depending on the problem, we may suggestion that data may need to be normalized as well, but we try to work with what is provided because that is what you have to work with.

As for not answering any of your posts for 6 months, you will probably get that wish not because I pay attention to who is posting (as I told you in a PM, I rarely look at the who when responding) but because I may simply not be able to answer as many questions as my internet connections may not be a fast and/or reliable while I am in Afghanistan. Until I leave, however, if I answer your question(s) I answer your question(s).

• I am dealing with a similar issue, and found this exerpt in the article referenced below. Check and see if it applies to you:

•Truncated text. When the driver determines that an Excel column contains text data, the driver selects the data type (string or memo) based on the longest value that it samples. If the driver does not discover any values longer than 255 characters in the rows that it samples, it treats the column as a 255-character string column instead of a memo column. Therefore, values longer than 255 characters may be truncated. To import data from a memo column without truncation, you must make sure that the memo column in at least one of the sampled rows contains a value longer than 255 characters, or you must increase the number of rows sampled by the driver to include such a row. You can increase the number of rows sampled by increasing the value of TypeGuessRows under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Excel registry key. For more information, see PRB: Transfer of Data from Jet 4.0 OLEDB Source Fails w/ Error.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms141683(v=sql.90).aspx

• Tab Alleman (6/7/2013)

I am dealing with a similar issue, and found this exerpt in the article referenced below. Check and see if it applies to you:

•Truncated text. When the driver determines that an Excel column contains text data, the driver selects the data type (string or memo) based on the longest value that it samples. If the driver does not discover any values longer than 255 characters in the rows that it samples, it treats the column as a 255-character string column instead of a memo column. Therefore, values longer than 255 characters may be truncated. To import data from a memo column without truncation, you must make sure that the memo column in at least one of the sampled rows contains a value longer than 255 characters, or you must increase the number of rows sampled by the driver to include such a row. You can increase the number of rows sampled by increasing the value of TypeGuessRows under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Excel registry key. For more information, see PRB: Transfer of Data from Jet 4.0 OLEDB Source Fails w/ Error.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms141683(v=sql.90).aspx

That's pretty much what the blog post we've been discussing says, except in much more practical terms than the TechNet documentation.

opc.three (5/16/2013)

The whole post is a good read, but section "The solution part III" pertains to your issue specifically:

http://blogs.lessthandot.com/index.php/DataMgmt/ssis-1/what-s-the-deal-with

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply