No job history but job ran

• Our nightly backup is showing wierd behaviour. The backup occurs (evidence in our local dumps file) but under

"EM> Management> SQL Server Agent > Jobs> "Job name" > (right click) View Job History"

no mention of the job appears at all. Baffling. Any advice appreciated.

TIA,

Bill

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Bill,

You might want to check the size of the job history log and the max history per job.

If you right click on SQL Server Agent (in Enterprise Manager) and Properties and select the Job System tab you can change these values.

It might be that you have a small value for the total number of job history log size and that the job history 'falls' off the end.

Jeremy

• Right click on SQL Server Agent, click properties, under job systems is there a set limit in the job history. You might need to increase this.

See what is reporting. From EM, under management, click database maint plans, right click on the plan that is backing up your database, Click maint plan history. Is there a report for the plan that is backing up your database?

If not review your plan setting, right click on the maint plan, click properties, click on the reporting folder tab.

Let me know what find.

John Zacharkan

John Zacharkan

• one stupid question, Do you have a job that is running the following somwhere? Might want to review the parameters being passed.

exec msdb..sp_delete_backuphistory @oldest_date

John Zacharkan

John Zacharkan

• I'm embarassed to admit that I wasn't running a nightly sp_delete_backuphistory

job. Dumping the old histories solved the problem I was having.

The next question is this: what parameter do you use for sp_delete_backuphistory? In other words, how long a history do you keep around? (Obviously, I just let it grow. Not too smart! But is a week history too short?)

TIA,

Bill

• quote:

The next question is this: what parameter do you use for sp_delete_backuphistory? In other words, how long a history do you keep around? (Obviously, I just let it grow. Not too smart! But is a week history too short?)

Depends, I have one server with 40 databases on it. I take transaction log backups every hour for 35 of these databases. The other 5 get dumped every 10 minutes. All of this is for log shipping purposes, but as you can imagine our backup history gets huge. For this server a week of history is sufficient, more than that sp_delete_backuphistory job starts taking to long.

Servers that just have daily backups can afford to keep a year of history, but why would you? Is there ever a time when you need to look that far back. If so we normally pull the history out our TSM or ARC serve logs for review.

For our installations, we've standardized the deploymenet of several dba maintenance scripts on each server install. This is one step in our daily maint job.

declare @todaydate datetime, @oldest_date datetime

set @todaydate =getdate()

set @oldest_date = (dateadd (d,-7,@todaydate))

exec msdb..sp_delete_backuphistory @oldest_date

good luck

John Zacharkan

John Zacharkan

• John,

Thanks for your helpful reply.

Bill Salkin

• John,

I apologise for the dumb question... But what does TSM, ARC means??

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply