Next Run Date not updating with the correct information! HELP PLEAZE!

• Hello,

One of my clients ended up with this problem wich I have never seen before. "Next Run Date" on all of the jobs shows "Date and Time are not available". Most of the jobs do run, according to their schedule, but if i I try to start a job manually, nothing happens.  Further more if I create a new job, it will never start!  Now I have tryed the following:

select schedule_id, name,next_run_date from sysjobschedules

And I do see all of the next run dates.  But if I run sp_help_job against all the jobs, nothing!

What can I do?  Reinstall the sql server agent with SMC?  Reinstall SQL server or is there a simpler way to solve this?

Please respond here or directly on my mail at

martin.tremblay@wanadoo.fr

m.tremblay@mobilesoft.fr

• I have seen a situation where the job as displayed in enterprise manager appears to have never run.  I discovered that this is a result of a bug in some of the built-in stored procedures used by EM to read the job status and occured only of the job name was very long. (> 128 characters I think). 

Right-clicking and selecting job history, functioned correctly, it was simply the SQL Agent->Jobs view that did not refresh.

• Nope that cannot be it, I'e created a test job called 'test'.  Still the same problem.  Futhermore, sp_start_job, does not really work.  SQLAGENT is started, so I execute it from query analyser, and it says that it executed successfully, but it did not run at all, if I verify the results, nothing happened.  I'm really stuck, I even tried to reinstall sqlagent this mornig, same problem.

PLEASE HELP anyone?

• We've run into this on a server here.  It seems to have fixed itself once we created and ran a One-Time schedule for a job whose schedule is usually every two-weeks.  I think we did a SQL restart too.

Just this morning we had to change the time of day for a few jobs.  My dba did that and then ran a report that shows job status, because I don't have rights on these tables in production.  The report showed null dates for next run time... UNTIL the DBA refreshed his Enterprise Manager screen, then re-ran the report.  That's awful and I consider it a bug.  EM deserves a total rewrite from scratch IMHO. 

1.  Refresh often in EM.

2.  Set up one-time schedules and run the job once.  Then disable or delete the one-time schedule. 

3.  Refresh often in EM.

• Thanks Peter for your input, but that does not work.   The problem has existed for over 4 weeks.  They have rebooted and refreshed and still the same problem.  This morning, I got fed up, I hate to reinstall Microsoft software, so I created a linkked server ans I'm transfering all the job locally and using a lot of openqueries!   Still this solution must be temporary, I have to find an answer! 

I still need help!

• Thanks Peter for your input, but that does not work.   The problem has existed for over 4 weeks.  They have rebooted and refreshed and still the same problem.  This morning, I got fed up, I hate to reinstall Microsoft software, so I created a linkked server ans I'm transfering all the job locally and using a lot of openqueries!   Still this solution must be temporary, I have to find an answer! 

I still need help!

• This will happen if the job is scheduled as a dependency on a previous job, as opposed to having a specific time to run it.

For example, job 1 runs and upon completion performs a raiseerror, which triggers job 2. Job 2 will never have a Next Run Time listed in EM.

You can check this for this case in the Schedule tab of the Properties for the job. It will say "SQL Server Event Alert" instead of the day of the week, time, etc.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply