[newbie] SQL Server 2005 enterprise installation

• I've just installed SQL Server 2005 (Full) on Windows Server 2008 Standard, and, applied SP3, and, noted:

- No instances are available by default; do I have to do some configuration to have these instances installed?

- When configuring users through the SQL Server User Provisioning, I could not add any roles to the local Administrator. Since this is a test machine I do not care about having a specific windows account at this stage. However, I did create another Administrator and, under Available Privileges, none were available.

- When loading SMSE I could not logon using Windows Authentication.

- Surface Area Configuration does not have any instances / services.

- No services (e.g. SQL Server and SQL Server Browser) within the Control panel.

:w00t:

• Are the tools installed? Which edition of SQL Server 2005 did you install? There is no "full". There's Enterprise, Standard, Workgroup, Express, Developer.

I'm also not familiar with user provisioning. Are you using SSMS?

How are you determining no instances are available?

• It's the 'enterprise' edition; a bit too large to upload here though :). The wizard is displayed on Win 2008 Server 2008 machines after the installation is finished.

• I might suspect that the services are not started then. You want to use SQL tools, not the Windows ones to work with SQL Server.

Moving to SQL 2005 Admin

• With SQL tools you mean software such as redgate?

🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply