New to SQL2008r2. Restarting SQL Service from SQL Server Mgt Studio Inconsistency.

• (Edit: Does anybody have an idea? Can YOU restart SQL services from SSMS2008r2 on your desktop? What about in SSMS2005 on your desktop?)

This works in SQL2005 but except for 1 instance doesn't in SQL2008r2.

We just installed a new SQL server (Win 2008r2 enterprise/sql 2008r2 enterprise v10.50.4000). It has 3 named instances (and no default instance). I am sysadmin on all the instances.

I can restart SQL services using SSMS for one instance but not the others***.

When SQL is running they all show Stop/Pause/Restart (with Start and Resume grayed out).

Also-- SQL Agent shows Start/Stop/Restart all grayed out too. In SQL2005 we had the ability to do all these; is there a setting I need to change?

When I open a SQL2005 box from SSMS2008, all Start/Stop options for SQL and Agent are grayed out even though I can do these from SSMS2005.

If it weren't for that single instance that I *can* Stop/Pause/Restart everything would be pretty consistent and I'd probably have figured it was part of the new hardening built in to 2008r2... but there's that one instance where it lets me do so.

I just checked another new SQL2008r2 box, a cluster-- and I can restart it in SSMS2008 also.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

***To clarify, I mean when running SSMS on my desktop.

Cursors are useful if you don't know SQL

• Does anybody have an idea?

Cursors are useful if you don't know SQL

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply