New table to be replicated...

• OK, I've read all the articles on this site regarding replication of new articles and most speak of altering columns in tables and a few discuss "new table replication".  However what I still have not derived from the information thus far has been "When a new table needs to be replicated do you ALWAYS have to perform a complete snapshot?".

I have setup a test environment, created a new table and inevitably I have had to perform a snapshot to see the new table in the replicant (regardless of choosing "reinitialization or not").  There doesn't appear to be a way to simply get the new table over without a whole database snapshot.  The database in question is around 17GB and takes about 3 hours to commit a complete snapshot and locks up tables during its cycle which is not acceptable.

Any assistance would be appreciated...

SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition, MS active/active cluster.

• Use SP_AddArticle - see Books Online for options.  This needs to be run on the publisher.  You do not need to create a new Snapshot

• Please bear in mind that you do have to run the snapshot if you need to initialise new subscribers

• It depends on what your replication setup is like as to whether a complete snapshot is created. By default, using sp_addarticle in transactional replication, followed by running the snapshot agent, will just create a snapshot of the one article, along with stored procs etc required for the subscriber. Merge on the other hand will produce an entire snapshot, but only the new article will be propagated by the merge agent.

HTH,

Paul Ibison, (http://www.replicationanswers.com)

Paul Ibison
    Paul.Ibison@replicationanswers.com

• Thanks everybody.  It works as you all have stated.  Appreciate your help!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply