New Stuff Can Be Scary

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item New Stuff Can Be Scary

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Heh... I'm not afraid of new technology... or change.  I'm afraid of the people that make them.

My concern is that a lot of it is either outright rubbish that takes a whole lot more to even come close to what used to be done (in other words, "Feature Loss") or that it has suddenly become much more difficult to do the same things(unreasonable or just stupid "Limitations" or supposed "Improvements" that actually aren't) or it takes a whole lot more machine resources ("Code Bloat" and "Crap Code") to do the same thing.   Supposed "Improvements" to existing things, be they hardware, software or procedural, actually do scare the hell out of me because, more often than not, something breaks or simply goes away because of someone's cockamamie idea of  what "simple", "useful", "effective", and "safe" is.

It all boils down to what I've carried in my signature line below for quite a while...

"Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hi Grant,

Learning a new tech can be fun ; Applying it into Production is indeed somewhat scary (because you just are becoming a newbie once more !...)

But ... Come on, Grant ! you have brains and methodology !

Since you claim out that you have solid notions and a bit self practice (but in no way an expert) it should be clear for your boss and it’s up to her/him to figure out if this is a deal breaker or not 😉

So, take it easy !

Best Regards

Eric KERO

• Things are certainly different now then when I had my ticket back in high school.

My scary leap right now is setting up AOAG. Although most of the walk throughs are pretty straight forward, there are some things that are different when you're setting it up on your network as opposed to someone demoing it on a laptop with 2 instances. But with some much appreciated help from dbatools, it's coming along and hopefully I don't mess up our DEV environment too badly. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply