New SQL Server hardware - How do I migrate existing server to new server?

• We have recently purchased a new server and I would like to know if anyone has a best practice for getting everything moved to the new hardware?

Currently we are using SQL Server 2000 on Window Server 2002, the new hardware will be SQL Server 2000 on Windows Server 2003.

Any ideas?

• Is the new server going to be renamed the same as the old one?

Here's what we do in a nutshell - if the drives are the same & this is a default instance:

Install SQL Server on the new box, plus SP4 or up to whatever release, with configurations same as the old box.

Bring down SQL on both boxes.  Rename the MSSQL folder on the new box (where the data & log files are, not the binaries).  Copy the MSSQL folder from the old box to the new box.  Start up SQL Server on the new one. 

If server names are different, run:

--Retrieve the former server name.

SELECT * from sysservers

go

--Drop the local server returned from the previous select.

sp_dropserver 'oldservername'

go

--Add the current server.

sp_addserver 'newservername', local

go

--Stop SQL Server, reboot the server (this gets the registry straight), start SQL Server.

--Verify the current server name.

SELECT @@SERVERNAME

You're done.  By including master database, the SID & DBID #s are OK, logins & linked servers should all work OK...

• Yes, the new server name is going to be the same.  Is this as simple as it sounds?  My databases are are in a different location than the sys dbs.  Does the same method apply for those as well?

• Yes, you'd need to do the same with those.  Make sure the drive letters & folders are the same on source & target servers. 

This method is rather easy, and a lot quicker than restoring from backups, etc.  This is also assuming SQL Server on the source server can be down long enough to copy the data & log files over.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply