New publication does not initialize

• My production environment runs two instances of SQL Server, one case insensitive and one case sensitive. I replicate the login information to the case sensitive instance so I can enforce case sensitivity in passwords.

I've had one publication running successfully for over a year, but now we need to add another database with the same replication scenario and I cannot get the publication to initialize.

Using the wizards in EM, or manually trying to create the publication and push subscription, the results are the same. The publication is created along with the snapshot and distribution agents, but the snapshot never executes and none of the transactions are replicated. No errors are generated.

Any ideas?

BTW, you guys did a great job at PASS Summit in Seattle, I'm looking forward to Orlando!

• If this is a dumb question, disregard it.

Have you tried right clicking the Snapshot Agent and running it explicitly?

I have found that even though you select "Ruin Snapshot Agent Immediately" in the Wizard, it often times out before connecting to the SQL Server Agent.

Regards,

Morpheus

"See how deep the rabbit hole goes..."

• If this is a dumb question, disregard it.

Have you tried right clicking the Snapshot Agent and running it explicitly?

I have found that even though you select "Run Snapshot Agent Immediately" in the Wizard, it often times out before connecting to the SQL Server Agent.

Regards,

Morpheus

"See how deep the rabbit hole goes..."

• Not a dumb question at all.

I think that it was ultimately a permissions issue, although I'm not sure why, because the owner of the job was a login with administrative rights. Once I changed the owner of the job to sa, transactional replication started working correctly.

Go figure!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply