New Picture of Steve Jones in the Daily Email

• He also insisted that anyone who dressed casual or semi-casual was ignoring reality and would never get a top job

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (8/28/2009)

He also insisted that anyone who dressed casual or semi-casual was ignoring reality and would never get a top job

at any time, or just at work?

I now have a mental image of an HR guy at the beach in a 3 piece suit...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bite-sized fiction (with added teeth) [/url]

He also insisted that anyone who dressed casual or semi-casual was ignoring reality and would never get a top job

Oh, he went WAY beyond that!

He actually insisted that dressing well helps to prove competence. Not, "dressing well shows a degree of respect for the people you are interviewing with, and a conformation with societal norms, and thus shows that there are at least reasonable odds that you'll fit in with a formal company culture", but that dressing well actually is a necessary piece of demonstrating technical competence.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• mazzz (8/28/2009)

GilaMonster (8/28/2009)

To anything work-related if I recall. Was quite a while back and I don't recall all the details.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GSquared (8/28/2009)

He actually insisted that dressing well helps to prove competence. Not, "dressing well shows a degree of respect for the people you are interviewing with, and a conformation with societal norms, and thus shows that there are at least reasonable odds that you'll fit in with a formal company culture", but that dressing well actually is a necessary piece of demonstrating technical competence.

The one thing I remember the most was his assertion that woman should not dress like men but should stick to skirts and the like. Please.

Gail Shaw

The one thing I remember the most was his assertion that woman should not dress like men but should stick to skirts and the like. Please.

And leave their bow, staff, or sword at home 😛

GSquared (8/28/2009)

Yeah, I remember that too. I had to wonder about the HR credentials, since some of what he said would get him slapped with a sexual harrassment suit in about half a second, if he said it to the wrong person.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• mazzz (8/28/2009)

GilaMonster (8/28/2009)

Beaches and 3 piece suits don't mix because if the sand does not get you the waves will.

:hehe:

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• this HR guy sounds like a real winner - did he ever find a job:alien:? Couldn't imagine he would keep his job anywhere with the bashing of protected groups (geeks and women overtly, possibly elves and dwarves too).

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Sounds like the HR guy would have been right at home in the environment portrayed in the series Mad Men.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply