New Maintenance Task Cleanup no working

• Hi,

I have setup a new maintenance plan to backup all my user databases and added a Maintenance Cleanup Task to delete any backup older than 3 days.  It seemed pretty straight forward except in the Database Backup parameters it creates a sub directory for each database (I have approx 25) and in the Maintenance Cleanup parameters it asks you for a path for the folder to delete the backup files.  The problem is that the path is D:\sql_backups with 25 folders beneath that for all the databases and the Maintenance Cleanup Task wants a specific folder.  So I can't tell it, D:\sql_backups and everything below that.  Do I have to create a seperate on for each database?!  How do I get around this?  It seems silly that it would expect you to create a seperate cleanup task for every database you have.  Am I missing something?

Thanks!!

Isabelle

Thanks!
    Bea Isabelle

• I assume you're working in 2005. If you're working with SP1 you should be able to set a checkbox within the Maintenance Cleanup Task for "Include first-level subfolders" and just point it to the next folder up the tree (assumedly \Backup).

Alternatively, for backup management I like to use something similar to what I talked about here (shameless plug):

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/aingold/workingaround2005maintenanceplans.asp

• Hi,

Yes I am using 2005, service pack 1:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.1399.06 (Intel X86)
    Oct 14 2005 00:33:37
    Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation
    Developer Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 1)

but I don't have that checkbox option.  When I double click my Maintenance Cleanup Task, I see

- Delete files of the Following Type:  Backup Files

- File Location: choice between Delete Specifi file or Search folder and delete files based on extension.  Folder: I can only specify a specific path and not everything under D:\sql_backups

- File age: Delete files based on the age of the file and I select 1 day

That is all I see on my screen. 

Thanks!

Isabelle

Thanks!
    Bea Isabelle

• Your version number there indicates you're not using SP1. You are for Windows but you must also patch SQL Server 2005 up to its service pack 1 to access the Maintenance Cleanup Task options you need.

To check version numbers I use the version database at:

http://www.sqlsecurity.com/FAQs/SQLServerVersionDatabase/tabid/63/Default.aspx

You can get service pack 1 at:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/sp1.mspx

Make sure you apply it to both your server and the workstation that you are running SQL Server Management Studio on to get the latest SQL Server tools.

• Good Morning.

Thanks for the info.  I will look into it and get sp1 applied.

Isabelle

Thanks!
    Bea Isabelle

• Aaron is pointing to below...

Cleanup

• Why I'm not also able to see INclude first-level subfolder options?

Here's the db info:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.2153.00 (Intel X86)

May 8 2006 22:41:28

Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation

Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 1)

• Did you install Client Tools? The UI is a part of Client Component not Server.

• Hi Isabella,

I just had the same problem you were having but I remember from a friend to always edit the Maintenance Plans on the local server machine, rather than to connect to the server remote using the Management Studio. You see the checkbox "include first-level subfolder" when you have run Management Studio on the server, and even the icons for Maintenance Plans are different ... red-handle hammer on a page verse a wrench on top a database pic.

Sincerely,

DeFiantROA

• I am a bit confused...

my server is 9.0.3042 so I guess this is a SQL SP 2 already

however my clean up task especially for maintenance plan reports are not working.

After I browse it, it seems there is a bug.

refer to KB 938085

it said that we need to delete ' 1st line'

do we need to delete each report which has 'New Component output' or only the first file.

Thanks,

Susan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply