New Logins Not functioning except with SYSADMIN rights

• Hi all, bit of a poser that has been bugging me.

I have a sql instance that has this odd problem - creating a login from windows give it rights, check it has connect and public rights as well as dbo of the default database...

However... it gets a login error - 18456 with state 11 in the logs.

Now, where it gets fun is if I grant it SYSADMIN fixed server role, it works just fine... I don't really want to give it sysadmin...

Any ideas? Might someone have mucked about with the public role somehow and 'secured' the server?

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP3) - 10.0.5826.0 (Intel X86) Sep 17 2012 17:27:22 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 6.0 <X86> (Build 6002: Service Pack 2)

• Look at this blog post:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlserverfaq/archive/2010/10/27/troubleshooting-specific-login-failed-error-messages.aspx

Microsoft Certified Master - SQL Server 2008
    Follow me on twitter: @keith_tate

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• In SQL 2008 R2, you may get some more details in the errorlog.

The database he has access to is not in RESTRICTED_USER mode, by chance, is it?

• Thanks for the replies, and the link.

It's looking like a SID lookup error, no AD related errors in the server logs though.

DBS all ok.

Elsewhere I found the hint to grant:

GRANT CONNECT SQL TO [domain\useraccount]

GRANT CONNECT ON ENDPOINT::[TSQL Default TCP] TO [domain\useraccount]

Once this was done the login could get to the server... but not see any databases. But could quite happily use the ones to which I had granted access.

Turns out someone had done something clever to lock down the public role. Eventually getting to the bottom of it.

:@

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply