New login doesn't appear in Security > Logins folder

• michael.leach2015

Ten Centuries

I think my original login was DESKTOP-8J18OSS\micha which appears in the folder Security > Logins.  Then I changed the computer name to Virginia.  The top most value of the Object Explorer says:

VIRGINIA\SQLEXPRESS2017 (SQL Server 14.0.2027 - VIRGINIA\Michael)

Isn’t VIRGINIA\Michael the login name?  If so why doesn’t it appear in the Security > Logins folder?

Under the properties window I noticed that the connection is named VIRGINIA\Michael.

What is the value VIRGINIA\Michael?  Is it a login or a connection or both?

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Ronzo

Hall of Fame

It is the login used by the connection to the instance. Renaming computers with SQL installed can require multiple steps to ensure that SQL is "synched" with the name change.

Have Fun!
    Ronzo

• michael.leach2015

Ten Centuries

Ronzo wrote:

It is the login used by the connection to the instance. Renaming computers with SQL installed can require multiple steps to ensure that SQL is "synched" with the name change.

Interesting.  I didn't know that a connection itself would need to use a login.  Thank you for the info.

• blakemcneill

SSC Journeyman

If you haven't already done so, you may want to read through this and follow any instructions: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/install-windows/rename-a-computer-that-hosts-a-stand-alone-instance-of-sql-server?view=sql-server-2017

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply