New Drive added to SQL Server 2005 not showing up

• We have added another SAN based Drive to our Clustered (Active/Passive) SQL 2005 server for the purpose of moving the backups to it. I have added it as a Cluster resource. When I open SSMS to modify either thru management or server objects the E Drive is not appearing.

How do we get that drive to appear to SSMS??

It is showing up in the My Computer. The Cluster has gone thru a failover test since adding the drive as well (essentially restarting the SQL service on that node).

• Via script try creating a database to that drive and let me know what you get for an error.

David

@SQLTentmaker

β€œHe is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• you need to add that drive as a dependency to the SQL Server instance you wish to use it on. You will need to offline the service resource first, then add the drive as a dependency, then bring the service back online again. Once this is done, SQL Server Management Studio will recognise that drive as one that the instance has a relationship with!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" πŸ˜‰

• Perry Whittle (8/18/2010)

you need to add that drive as a dependency to the SQL Server instance you wish to use it on.

Yeah - I figured as much as well and was hoping the error would show that. πŸ˜‰

David

@SQLTentmaker

β€œHe is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Ahhh I did not have that as a dependency of the SQL server itself. OK I will have to do that after hours. I will do that tonite and let you know!

Thanks!

• you're welcome 😎

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Perry & David! Thanks very much for both of your replies to my issue!

Perry's solution did the trick - I had added the physical drive to the cluster resources but had not made it a dependency of the SQL.

It now sees it! Thanks very much for all of your help!!!

Brad

• Brad

you're welcome, this does trip a few people over πŸ˜‰

SQL Server when clustered will only use devices that it has dependencies on!

Regards

Perry

• I had the same problem a few moons ago with a cluster an outsourced IT company added disks to but they forgot about the SQL Server part - doh!

I found this short and simple how-to from MS (ignore the title). Don't think it applies to SQL 2008 since I've no 2008 clusters to test it on.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295732

• Thanks for that too! Just seems to be a real lack of written resource materials relating to the care and feeding of Microsoft Clusters...

• After deploying a clustered SQL Server instance I always check my resource dependencies.

😎

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply