New 2008 R2 Installation Errors

• I have a freshly installed SQL Server and I keep getting the same error on some of the actions I attempt. When I right click a database and go to Tasks > Import Data and when I right click a table and go to delete, I get the following error:

"Cannot show requested dialog.

Additional information:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Sqm, Version = 10.0.0.0, Culture = neutral,

PublicKeyToken = 89845cd8080cc91' or one of it's dependencies. The system cannot find the file

specified. (SqlMgmt)"

I tried to go through this with my clients DBA but he told me to copy the file from the Program Files into two directories and then register them (the above .dll) but they won't register.

He got frustrated and gave up on me. Any ideas?

• SQL 2008 R2 database engine? (run SELECT @@Version please)

What version of Management Studio? (Help -> About, attach a screenshot please)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Version query result is:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP2) - 10.50.4000.0 (X64) Jun 28 2012 08:36:30 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7600: ) (Hypervisor)

Version snip:

• Did you copy the file into the two directories? Microsoft.SqlServer.Sqm.dll should be located in two folders.

Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared

Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE

I think it can end up missing from the IDE folder, if I remember right, which causes the errors. Needs to be in the same folder as ssms.exe

Sue

• Sue,

After reading your response, I started scouring the interwebs again and found a solution:

You alluded to it at the end of your last response, so you were on the right track! Apparently, these were my issues:

* The Microsoft.SqlServer.sqm.dll file must be in the same folder as the ssms.exe

* The Microsoft.SqlServer.sqm.dll must be the correct version that SQL Server is looking for

I copied a version of the Microsoft.SqlServer.sqm.dll over into the same folder as the ssms.exe and all of my errors disappeared. 🙂

Thanks for your time!

Jerid

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply