.net framework & SQL Server 2000

• Does anyone have an opinion on wether I should install the .net framework on a SQL Server 2000 clustered environment? It is needed to run an install program (database creation only) from a particular vendor. I'm trying to decide if I want the framework on my purly SQL Server 2000 machines.

Pros? Cons? Any help is appreciated!!

Francis
    -----------------
    SQLRanger.com

• Just curious, why do you want to install .net framework on SQL server? Assuming that you are using SQL2K.

• Simply because we have purchased some software (that will run on another server) that requires a SQL Server database. The vendor's install program that puts a database out on this server, needs to run on the local sql server (ie: it can not do a remote install) and it needs the .net framework for the install to run. I know, it's pretty crummy software (IMHO) that forces you to do the install directly on the SQL Server machine, but I had no say in buying it (go figure).

So, the question is, how hard do I fight to keep the .net framework off of my SQL Server 2000 cluster?

Francis
    -----------------
    SQLRanger.com

• That leads to another question. If that s/w forces to do the install directly on SQL Server machine, is it going to work for cluster? As you know, cluster is the virtual server.

BTW, I don't see any side effects of having .NET framework on the SQL server even though I don't like putting anything else on SQL server but SQL server.

• .net framework is going to be part of Windows, soon enough. I believe that XP machines with Automatic Updates turned on will already have .net framework 1.1 on them. Installing it is no different from installing the MFC runtime to enable an MFC program to run, or installing the VB runtime to enable a VB program to run. No problem at all.

"I don't like putting anything else on SQL server but SQL server."

What about Windows?

• I totally agree with AKM.

Once Yukon comes along as well the .net framework will be kind of important

cheers

dbgeezer

• I would be extremely careful. I have not tested this with the .NET Framework 1.1 but there were some issues with v 1.0 of the framework. My one data point comes from installing v1.0 of the framework on a SQL 7.0 cluster. The install updated some of the MDAC components and failover stopped working. I would hope that the problems have been fixed, and I have not tested this scenario, but after messing up the cluster I suddenly found a few articles explaining why you would never want to install the framework on a SQL cluster.

Just a word of caution so you will hopefully not have the same bad experience that I had of trying to manually remove parts of MDAC and restore them to their correct version for SQL clusters.

Scott

• We had one of our new Network dudes install it on our SQL Servers (non-clustered) because he saw it on Windows Update once so he thought it was a required update and installed the .Net framework (v1.1). It did cause some problems with the MDAC because it updated it to version 2.8 and then when he ran Windows Update again it also found another patch for MDAC. Our clients started calling and saying they were getting errors.

About three hours laters, we finally figured out what he did and was able to correct the code so that it worked with the new version of MDAC. (he no longer works at my company).

I'd be concerned with the cluster portion because I know how touchy MS SQL clusters can be! Do you have a test environment to play with it first?

Another thing I would be worried about is security. I am still waiting for the first .Net based virus/worm to come out and trash my servers.

SJ

• IMHO I would not install the .Net framework in your clustered environment WITHOUT proving it works in a test clustered environment first.  This may be difficult to do in the sense that the testing performed in the test environment may not be rigorous enough (insufficient test conditions checked).

May I suggest that if the purpose of the install is to only create a database, then why not create the database in a test environment and then migrate the database itself to the clustered environment.  There are various ways the database migration could be done.

Gary

• I have to withdraw my opinion about okay with installing .Netframe work. Sorry about confusing fapel. I didn't think about MDAC upgrade. I've seen so many trouble w/ MDAC difference, I have to agree w/ all above three not to install unless you test fully, which is not really easy but something that you have to do. Especailly, you are talking about cluster..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply