Negotiating Your Raise Before Your Annual Review

• For most people it is always going to be incremental gains. There are times when we get a promotion or change jobs and get a bump, but sooner or later - mostly sooner - we're going to hit the place where the world isn't bad at all and incremental gains are what comes with that. Are you delivering 5% more value every year? How many years can you compound 5% (or more if you don't want incremental gains)?

• sturner (5/24/2011)

I don't understand the meaning of mediocre and always put for forth 110% ... and yes, I'm worth more than 5%.... anytime anywhere.

I admire your self-confidence but (with apologies for being off-topic) I never understood the math of someone claiming to give more than 100% - it is not possible unless you "steal" from other areas of your life. What are you prepared to short-change? your health, family, social life? Also, before long your employer will come to expect it as normal.

• mosaic-287947 (5/30/2011)

sturner (5/24/2011)

I don't understand the meaning of mediocre and always put for forth 110% ... and yes, I'm worth more than 5%.... anytime anywhere.

I admire your self-confidence but (with apologies for being off-topic) I never understood the math of someone claiming to give more than 100% - it is not possible unless you "steal" from other areas of your life. What are you prepared to short-change? your health, family, social life? Also, before long your employer will come to expect it as normal.

I agree with this. Once you raise that bar, it doesn't come back down. I'm not saying that you shouldn't work to your full potential but there is definitely some gray there.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply