Negative Run Duration

• Well we do have automatic time synching as my problematic node just synched time, so my guess is time has been changing and leading to end times before start times.

Annoying. Of course the real question is how does time synch become so bad?

• sounds like a good guess, certainly would fit the scenario.

clocks getting out of synch? over to an intel bod.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Clocks get out of synch because the crystal drifts. The internal physical hardware just isn't precise.

That's why you want a "time server" that you sycnh all servers to. They'll correct their individual drifts every hour, day, whatever. You can synch your time server to the US atomic clocks for official time, but more you want all your internal servers to synch.

Alternatively, I used to set an Outlook reminder 2x a month to just manually check a few servers that I knew drifted a lot, and resynch them.

• Steve, thanks for the info it is nice to actually know that.

Ironically we do have two time sources to synch from, and they do (hence the problem), and they are supposed to do it regularly like every 15 minutes, so I wonder how they get to 5 minutes out. I hear network issues can cause problems, etc. Five minutes just boggles my mind.

Oh well.

Thanks again for the info and the help.

• Steve Jones - Editor (12/4/2007)

Clocks get out of synch because the crystal drifts. The internal physical hardware just isn't precise.

crystal drifts? is that like crystal meths?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Not sure about that. Never opened one up 🙂

5V isn't much, but capacitor shocks make me a little nervous 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply