Needed: SQL Server Performance Help or Tips

• Background: I own a few websites and manage my own Windows Web Server 2008 R2 (Intel Xeon CPU, E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30ghz, 32 GB Ram, 64 bit operating system) and MS SQL Server 2012 Web Edition database; however, I am really only a Web developer/designer...not a DB admin. My DB and websites are on the same server (I know I should probably separate these). My websites are growing steadily (getting more traffic) and my database size is about 2+GB. MS SQL Server consumes most of the server resources (I think this is normal).

I do the basic stuff like periodically rebuild my fragmented indexes. However, it seems like my queries are running slower and slower.

•What are some basic things I can do to increase my query speed?

•What are some basic things I can do to increase MS SQL Server 2012 performance?

•How do I diagnose MS SQL Server 2012 bottlenecks?

Any other performance tips you can provide are greatly appreciated.

• To start, there's no silver bullet. Most likely what's happening is that your data volumes are growing and either the queries can't use indexes efficiently or the best indexes don't exist.

This book should cover everything you need to know.

http://www.amazon.com/SQL-Server-Query-Performance-Tuning/dp/1430267437/

And yes, you should separate SQL Server from your web application.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks. I just purchased the book. Hope it helps. I guess I'll have to do some heavy reading. 🙂

• Hire a DBA from Freelancer / ODesk (Or ask Gail nicely - she really knows her stuff!)

Front end development, back end development, performance tuning and database security are separate skills and it is not possible to know it all. Unless you really want to be a DBA, bite the bullet and pay an expert.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply