needed help on special kind of backup

• Hi,

can anyone provide me a solution or a tool or a script that can help me in achieving my following goal

i want to fetch first few rows of every table from my database e.g. say i have 50 tables with 100 rows in each table. now i want to select first 5 rows or n rows from each 50 tables but with a single script or some tool or some method..

it will be a kind of small backup of whole database with first few rows and it can be used as dummy entries for test database.

• definitely with bcp utility, and a query inside....

C:\>bcp "select top 50 * from DatabaseName.dbo.Table_Name" queryout Test.bak -U username -P password -c -t

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Well in this situation I would create the new database where I want the data to go and run something like the following:

DECLARE @object_id int, @schema_id int, @cmd varchar(max), @dbname varchar(20)

SET @dbname = 'new_database_name'

DECLARE special_backup CURSOR FOR

select [object_id], [schema_id] from sys.objects

where [type] = 'U'

OPEN special_backup

FETCH NEXT FROM special_backup

INTO @object_id, @schema_id

WHILE @@fetch_status = 0

BEGIN

SET @cmd = '

select top 10 * into ' + @dbname + '.dbo.' + object_name(@object_id) + '

from ' + schema_name(@schema_id) + '.' + object_name(@object_id) +''

EXEC (@cmd)

FETCH NEXT FROM special_backup

INTO @object_id, @schema_id

END

CLOSE special_backup

DEALLOCATE special_backup

what this will do is take the top 10 rows from each table in the current database and create new tables in the new_database_name(that db must exist) with those 10 rows.

• This is what i would suggest, will work well with SQL Server 2005. If you need the same in SQL server 2000 then you can replace @STR varibles data type with varchar(8000), however if your database contains large number of tables varchar(800) will not work....

use master

create database DummyData -- Create a database where you want to copy the sample data

declare @STR varchar(max)

set @STR = ''

select @STR = @STR + ' select top 5 * into DummyData..[' + name + '] from [' + name + ']' from

sys.tables where type = 'U'

exec (@str)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply