Need to create a job for dynamic execution on another server

• Hi all,

I need to create a job to dynamically script out indexes and some other objects from Server A and apply them on Server B. They are linked through a Linked Server.

But how to construct the job? I know how to build dynamic code, but how to save its output, and how to run it on another server?

Thanks

• Sounds like a dangerous thing to do in production

Is this part of migration, a one time task or will you want your monster script to run regularly?

• This is not from production. This is from one lower env. to another lower env. (like dev, test, qa, like that)

• SQL Guy 1 wrote:

Hi all,

I need to create a job to dynamically script out indexes and some other objects from Server A and apply them on Server B. They are linked through a Linked Server.

But how to construct the job? I know how to build dynamic code, but how to save its output, and how to run it on another server?

Thanks

You can create a job in server A to script out all indexes and save it as a file in a common location accessible for both servers.

Another Job in Server B can fetch the file and run it in Server B.

Normal jobs can do this task but prefer  SSIS, it will make your life simple for these kinda tasks.

• Cebisa wrote:

Sounds like a dangerous thing to do in production

Is this part of migration, a one time task or will you want your monster script to run regularly?

This is a good option when you do it from UAT or higher level in Non-Production to Dev and QA databases.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply