Need replacement for Microsoft RDCManager - which is being deprecated March 2020

• Due to vulnerability, Microsoft is deprecating RDCMan (LINK listed below)

Does anyone have a recommendation on a replacement RDCMan?  I have over 200 SQL Servers (VM's & Physcial's) that I connect to... and I have them neatly defined in RDCManager by PROD, STAGE, TEST, DEV and by Application System.

Looking for a replacement for RDCMan !!!

DETAILS / LINK (March 10, 2020):  https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2020-0765

CVE-2020-0765 | Remote Desktop Connection Manager Information Disclosure Vulnerability

Security Vulnerability

Published: 03/10/2020

MITRE CVE-2020-0765

An information disclosure vulnerability exists in the Remote Desktop Connection Manager (RDCMan) application when it improperly parses XML input containing a reference to an external entity. An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could read arbitrary files via an XML external entity (XXE) declaration.

To exploit the vulnerability, an attacker could create an RDG file containing specially crafted XML content and convince an authenticated user to open the file.

FAQ: Where do I find the update for Remote Desktop Connection Manager (RDCMan)?

ANSWER: Microsoft is not planning on fixing this vulnerability in RDCMan and has deprecated the application. Microsoft recommends using supported Remote Desktop clients and exercising caution when opening RDCMan configuration files (.rdg).

BT
  • did you even bothered googling for it?  replacement for RDCMan shows lots of hits

• I found these via a GOOGLE search:

- TeamViewer

- Splashtop (Advertising)

- Chrome Remote Desktop

- Microsoft Remote Desktop

- TightVNC

- Mikogo

- LogMeIn

- pcAnywhere

Again, just looking for feedback from those who highly recommend a replacement RD connection manager -- one where I can create 200+ server entries to connect to, retain the PWD, etc .. and organize them by GROUPS (similar to SSMS Groups).  Very much appreciate any feedback.  thanks

BT
  • none of those are replacements for RDCMAN - those are just Remote Desktop options

just one list - will not recommend any as you will be the one that needs to look at them, try them out, decide on cost and functionality

https://alternativeto.net/software/remote-desktop-connection-manager/

there are others - but you can search them as well as I can.

• I use a free product call Terminals - you can find it on GitHub.  I cannot access the site from work - so I cannot provide the link.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• I second Terminals if you can get it at your place of work. It works great.

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

• I've used Boz's VENM for years... I ignore the VNC parts, using it most as an RDC manager with groups and for quick local c$ connects...

http://www.bozteck.com/venm/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply