Need Permissions De-ciphered Inorder to Install SQL Server 208 R2

• Hi Folks

MS, in their infinite wisdom, does not place the correct permissions on a directory that the installer needs access to in order to install SQL Server 2008 R2. Consequently, since I do not have a Doctorate in understanding MS terminology, I am hoping that someone can explain to me what exactly this message means. Really appreciate anyone that knows helping out because I am stuck.

The following error has occurred:

Updating permission setting for folder 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\' failed.

The folder permission setting were supposed to be set to

'D:(A;OICI;FA;;;BA)(A;OICI;FA;;;SY)(A;OICI;FA;;;CO)(A;OICI;0x1200a9;;;BU)'.

Click 'Retry' to retry the failed action, or click 'Cancel' to cancel this action and continue setup.

Thanks

Jim

• Are you a local admin?

Try putting the service account in the local admin group to allow it to change permissions on directories.

Revisit this later to ensure security policies are adhered to. I can't remember if you have to leave the service account as a local admin, or only for installation.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• H iCalvo

Are you a local admin?

Yes

Try putting the service account in the local admin group to allow it to change permissions on directories.

Which service account are you referring to ?

Jim

• During setup, you're asked to specify a SQL Server Service account.

screen shot

Here is the screen where you can specify the service account logins.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

• Yes

i tried to use my service account but it would not take it due to some more security

(Windows 2008 R2 really stinks)

i used one of the defaults: NT AUTHORITY/NETWORK

and that took

I was going to change all the service accounts after the install, but never got that far

i do not know how to add a picture like you did

Jim

• I just linked to a site that had a picture. hehe

you have to attach a file to show the picture.

make sure the service account has the permission -

Log On As A Service

start -> admin tools -> local security policy -> local policies -> user rights assignment -> Log on as a service(properties). Make sure the service account is in this group.

2008 R2 is good, just take s a little getting use to.

• Thanks Calvo

the sevice is there

the problem is that this damn AFB has locked everything down so it is very difficult to even install software now because they have tweeked these security profiles and disabled a lot of things, so no telling where the issue is.

I can't even schedule a task without fixing the registry entry that prohibits me from running one

Jim

• Yeah, I'm sorry man.

I've realized that even when the security people say you have local admin privileges, you don't. It's just a title.

That was the next thing I was going to say, the service account needs permissions to read/write in the registry also.

It's all about permissions. I can't think of anything else.

• Well..

thanks for your time Calvo

I am trying again to see how far i can get

Jim

• Anyone

still no luck

tree tries, three failures

Updating permission setting for folder 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\' failed.

The folder permission setting were supposed to be set to

'DA;OICI;FA;;;BA)(A;OICI;FA;;;SY)(A;OICI;FA;;;CO)(A;OICI;0x1200a9;;;BU)

Thanks

• That sucks. It has to be fine grained permission restrictions on the domain that is affecting local permissions (GPO?). All it wants to do is change permissions on a local folder.

Is a call to MS at all possible?

• Hi Calvo

i do not have capability to call MS.

I found some info on some more policies that may be issue so i will try adding those in

I posted on a forum, but no response yet

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/98cedd14-44d4-400f-a3d3-6f029faaa1dd

Thanks

Jim

• FYI

after reading several like issues with SQL Server 2008 R2 i added who I was logged in as (Administrator) to these Local Security Settings which had nothing in them

Start->Run-secpol.msc

Select Local User Rights Assignment

Under "Debug programs"

Under "Back up files and directories"

Under "Manage auditing and security log"

Under "Impersonate a client after authentication"

Not sure which one was the problem and don't care right now

It finally installed after 4 attempts

Pretty piss-poor documentation on installing as I could find anything about any of these in any install instructions, readme, or release notes. Typical Microsoft. Alot of time wasted

Jim

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply