Need help with my stored procedure

• I am creating a a web based smtp log file reporting system. I want to create a procedure that takes a column (ip) and counts the number of times a particular ip appears, then adds a temporary column to the table for that particular ip to store the count. Ultimately there will be up to 30+ temporary columns.I'm not sure how to go about doing it or if that is the best way. Here is what I have that does not seem to work the way I want it too, but may give a better idea as to what I'm trying to accomplish.

CREATE PROCEDURE SP_SMTPSTATS AS

SELECT count(ip) mcd

FROM test

where ip = '10.0.0.5'

count(ip) mcdd

from test

where ip = '10.0.0.4'

GO

• ok, you didn't give a whole heck of a lot of info, but here's a suggestion.

Rather than add a column to a table to store IP counts, use a separate table.

So, your SMTP log could be uploaded into a temp table, the statistics then calculated and stored into a permant SMTPStats table. So, in this example, I have a assumed that your smtp log file has already been uploaded/converted into a table called SMTP_LOG_TEMP, and that the table that contains all your smtp statistics is called SMTP_STATS. SMTP_STATS in this example has 2 fields: IP_ADDRESS, and IP_COUNT.

-- First, get the IPs, and their counts from the latest log file

INSERT INTO #SMTP_STATS_WORK

SELECT IP, Count(IP) as LATEST_COUNT

FROM SMTP_LOG_TEMP

GROUP BY IP

-- Second, update the SMTP_STATS table

UPDATE SMTP_STATS

SET a.IP_COUNT = a.IP_COUNT + b.LATEST_COUNT

FROM SMTP_STATS a, #SMTP_STATS_WORK b

WHERE a.IP_ADDRESS = b.IP

-- Lastly, insert any IPs from this run, that weren't in the SMTP_STATS table already

INSERT INTO SMTP_STATS (IP_ADDRESS, IP_COUNT)

SELECT IP, LATEST_COUNT

FROM #SMTP_STATS_WORK

WHERE IP not in (SELECT IP_ADDRESS FROM SMTP_STATS)

Good luck!

Matthew Mamet

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply