Need help with a SQL "least significant digit" algorithm

• Hi all,

Looking for some quick help with a bit of SQL. The best way I can describe it is that I'm trying to add 1 to the least significant digit in a given input number. Some examples:

1.2 would become 1.3 (adding .1)

6.25 would become 6.26 (adding .01)

9 would become 10 (adding 1)

3.099 would become 3.1 (adding .001)

I hope I've explained that well. Any nifty SQL tricks or hints are appreciated!

• BowlOfCereal (11/7/2016)

Hi all,

Looking for some quick help with a bit of SQL. The best way I can describe it is that I'm trying to add 1 to the least significant digit in a given input number. Some examples:

1.2 would become 1.3 (adding .1)

6.25 would become 6.26 (adding .01)

9 would become 10 (adding 1)

3.099 would become 3.1 (adding .001)

I hope I've explained that well. Any nifty SQL tricks or hints are appreciated!

I have some rather ugly SQL for you which seems to work:

DECLARE @x SQL_VARIANT = 3.099;

SELECT

@x

, Res = CAST(@x AS DECIMAL(18, 6)) + 1.0 / POWER(10, CAST(SQL_VARIANT_PROPERTY(@x, 'Scale') AS INT));

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Wow! Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. The code isn't quite perfect (3.0 returns 3.1, for example), but it gives me a great head start. 🙂

• BowlOfCereal (11/7/2016)

Wow! Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. The code isn't quite perfect (3.0 returns 3.1, for example), but it gives me a great head start. 🙂

No problem.

If 1.2 becomes 1.3, then 3.0 becoming 3.1 seems fairly reasonable to me, but I understand why you would want 3.0 to be treated as 3.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil's solution is brilliant (this was a tricky problem that I could not solve).

Based on what you said - 4.0 should be 4.1 but if you want 4.0 to become 5 you could do something like this (using Phil's solution as a start):

DECLARE @x SQL_VARIANT = 3.0;

SELECT Res = IIF

(

PATINDEX('%.%[^0]%', CAST(@x AS varchar(25))) > 0,

CAST(@x AS DECIMAL(18, 6)) + 1.0 / POWER(10, CAST(SQL_VARIANT_PROPERTY(@x, 'Scale') AS INT)),

CAST(@x AS DECIMAL(18, 6)) + 1.0

);

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Thank you as well! But grrrr..... now I'm running into a new problem; the data I'm working with is in a varchar(max) column, and I'm getting the error "Operand type clash: varchar(max) is incompatible with sql_variant" trying to implement this logic. I was trying to keep the post simple -- that's what I get for leaving out details! This is a varchar(max) column that contains some values like '>3.245' or '>6.2'. Our business has requested we convert these to a numeric value in a separate column, stripping off the '>' and incrementing the number using the logic I described.

Here's some code to populate a temp table similar to what I'm querying (leaving out the trivial '>' part); the operand type clash error results from the select statement at the bottom.

create table #mytab (origval varchar(max))

insert #mytab values

('1.2'), --should convert to 1.3

('6.25'), --should convert to 6.26

('9'), --should convert to 10

('3.099'), --should convert to 3.1

('5.0') --should convert to 6

select origval,

Res = CAST(origval AS DECIMAL(18, 6)) + 1.0 / POWER(10, CAST(SQL_VARIANT_PROPERTY(origval, 'Scale') AS INT))

from #mytab

• This might work.

insert #mytab values

('5.0'), --should convert to 6

('10') --should convert to 10

select origval,

origval + CASE WHEN origval NOT LIKE '%.%[^0]%' THEN digit / 10 ELSE digit END

from #mytab

CROSS APPLY( SELECT POWER(CAST(10 AS float), -(LEN(origval) - PATINDEX( '%[1-9]%', REVERSE(origval)) + 1 - CHARINDEX( '.', origval + '.')))) x(digit);

GO

DROP table #mytab

EDIT: Changed the CASE clause to prevent calculating the value twice.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (11/7/2016)

This might work.

insert #mytab values

('5.0'), --should convert to 6

('10') --should convert to 10

select origval,

origval + CASE WHEN origval NOT LIKE '%.%[^0]%' THEN digit / 10 ELSE digit END

from #mytab

CROSS APPLY( SELECT POWER(CAST(10 AS float), -(LEN(origval) - PATINDEX( '%[1-9]%', REVERSE(origval)) + 1 - CHARINDEX( '.', origval + '.')))) x(digit);

GO

DROP table #mytab

EDIT: Changed the CASE clause to prevent calculating the value twice.

Thanks! It's still not quite perfect ('10' converts to '20', for example), but I think I understand the logic enough to tweak it how I need.

Other ideas always welcome! 🙂

• You might just need to change "digit / 10" to "1".

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

• Since you want the final result as a numeric value, it doesn't make sense to manipulate the string. Try the following:

SELECT m.origval, n.comp_val

FROM #mytab m

CROSS APPLY (

SELECT TOP (1) origval + POWER(CAST(10 AS DECIMAL(18,6)), -n) AS comp_val

FROM ( VALUES(-2), ( -1), ( 0), ( 1), ( 2) ) n(n)

WHERE origval = ROUND(origval, n)

ORDER BY n

) n

You may want to use a tally table instead of hard-coding the range.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Simple "set" based approach

😎

USE TEEST;

GO

SET NOCOUNT ON;

IF OBJECT_ID(N'tempdb..#mytab') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #mytab;

insert #mytab values

('5.0') --should convert to 6

;

SELECT

CONVERT(DECIMAL(18,6),X.origval,0) AS ORIGINAL_VALUE

,CONVERT(DECIMAL(18,6),X.origval,0) + MIN(XX.AV) AS DESIRED_VALUE

FROM #mytab X

CROSS APPLY ( SELECT SIGN(CONVERT(DECIMAL(18,6),X.origval,0) ) * 1.0 UNION ALL

SELECT SIGN(CONVERT(DECIMAL(18,6),X.origval,0) % 1.0 ) * 0.1 UNION ALL

SELECT SIGN(CONVERT(DECIMAL(18,6),X.origval,0) % 0.1 ) * 0.01 UNION ALL

SELECT SIGN(CONVERT(DECIMAL(18,6),X.origval,0) % 0.01 ) * 0.001 UNION ALL

SELECT SIGN(CONVERT(DECIMAL(18,6),X.origval,0) % 0.001) * 0.0001

) XX(AV)

WHERE XX.AV > 0.0

GROUP BY CONVERT(DECIMAL(18,6),X.origval,0);

Output

ORIGINAL_VALUE DESIRED_VALUE

---------------- ---------------

1.200000 1.3000000000

3.099000 3.1000000000

5.000000 6.0000000000

6.250000 6.2600000000

9.000000 10.0000000000

• drew.allen (11/7/2016)

Since you want the final result as a numeric value, it doesn't make sense to manipulate the string. Try the following:

FROM #mytab m

CROSS APPLY (

ORDER BY n

) n

Drew

Very cool! This logic is great for my purposes, with one minor bug fix. I originally included all values between -10 and 10 in the tally table, and found that the logic returned incorrect results in a few cases (10, 500). Experimenting, I found that removing the negative numbers from the tally table seems to have fixed the problem (the tally table runs 0 through 10 now).

I'd love your thoughts on that. Frankly, I don't understand the code fully yet, and I'm not sure my "fix" is correct. Did you find you originally needed to include the negative numbers (-2 and -1)? Do you see any problem with limiting the range to 0 through 10? Thanks so much for the help!

• BowlOfCereal (11/8/2016)

drew.allen (11/7/2016)

Since you want the final result as a numeric value, it doesn't make sense to manipulate the string. Try the following:

FROM #mytab m

CROSS APPLY (

ORDER BY n

) n

Drew

Very cool! This logic is great for my purposes, with one minor bug fix. I originally included all values between -10 and 10 in the tally table, and found that the logic returned incorrect results in a few cases (10, 500). Experimenting, I found that removing the negative numbers from the tally table seems to have fixed the problem (the tally table runs 0 through 10 now).

I'd love your thoughts on that. Frankly, I don't understand the code fully yet, and I'm not sure my "fix" is correct. Did you find you originally needed to include the negative numbers (-2 and -1)? Do you see any problem with limiting the range to 0 through 10? Thanks so much for the help!

Your fix seems correct. The negative numbers shouldn't be there to get the LSD (which I had to Google to remember how it is defined). The range 0 to 10 will allow up to 10 decimal places, it won't return rows if more decimal places are used.

The code is returning the original value + 10^-n, only when the rounded value to n decimal places is equal to the original value. It only returns one row ordered in a way that will return the LSD instead of a smaller value. I hope that explains it. If it doesn't, ask whatever you need.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:

• BowlOfCereal (11/8/2016)

drew.allen (11/7/2016)

FROM #mytab m

CROSS APPLY (

ORDER BY n

) n

Drew

The negative numbers handle cases where the least significant digit falls to the left of the decimal point (e.g., 1000.00). You're using a definition where the first digit to the left of the decimal point is always significant.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Thanks again for the info and help, all!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply