Need help with a CASE statement

• I'm trying to return the number of pieces from a table where the piece count can be NULL, 0, or any whole number 1-999.

I need my query results to:

- change all NULL values to a '1'

- change all '0' values to a '1'

- make NO other changes, essentially letting all other values pass through untouched

The query below produces the desired results with the NULL and '0' values, but everything else then turns into a NULL. I can't seem to get the good values (1-999) to pass through the statement and keep their original value.

Here's the section of the query:

case when o.Pieces = '0' then '1' -- Change all ZERO piece orders to 1 piece orders

when o.Pieces IS NULL then '1' -- Change all NULL piece counts to 1

end as 'Pieces',

• rhaberkorn (11/24/2015)

I'm trying to return the number of pieces from a table where the piece count can be NULL, 0, or any whole number 1-999.

I need my query results to:

- change all NULL values to a '1'

- change all '0' values to a '1'

- make NO other changes, essentially letting all other values pass through untouched

The query below produces the desired results with the NULL and '0' values, but everything else then turns into a NULL. I can't seem to get the good values (1-999) to pass through the statement and keep their original value.

Here's the section of the query:

case when o.Pieces = '0' then '1' -- Change all ZERO piece orders to 1 piece orders

when o.Pieces IS NULL then '1' -- Change all NULL piece counts to 1

end as 'Pieces',

Quick suggestion, post the relevant DDL (create table), sample data as an insert statement and the desired results!

😎

• You've only specified values in the CASE for the conditions where the value is NULL or '0'. You would need to add an ELSE to grab the rest of the possibilities. Right now those possibilities don't have a matching condition in the CASE statement, so they will return NULL.

Something like this:

CASE

WHEN o.pieces = '0' THEN '1' -- Change all ZERO piece orders to 1 piece orders

WHEN o.pieces IS NULL THEN '1' -- Change all NULL piece counts to 1

ELSE o.pieces

END AS 'Pieces'

On a side-note, are numeric values being stored as strings (wondering because of the single quotes)?

Cheers!

• A shorter version with sample data:

USE tempdb

GO

CREATE TABLE #Test( pieces int);

WITH

E(n) AS(

SELECT n FROM (VALUES(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0))E(n)

),

E2(n) AS(

SELECT a.n FROM E a, E b

),

E4(n) AS(

SELECT a.n FROM E2 a, E2 b

),

cteTally(n) AS(

SELECT ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY (SELECT NULL)) n

FROM E4

)

INSERT INTO #Test

SELECT n - 500

FROM cteTally

UNION ALL

SELECT NULL;

SELECT o.pieces, --To show value

ISNULL( NULLIF( o.pieces, 0), 1) newpieces

FROM #Test o

WHERE (o.pieces BETWEEN 0 AND 999 OR o.pieces IS NULL)

ORDER BY pieces;

GO

DROP TABLE #Test;

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Thank you very much for your response!! 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply