Need help on Microsoft best practice SQL Credentials

• Hello Room,

Can anyone provide advice on Microsoft best practice to assign SQL credentials?

I have a production Microsoft SQL Server 2008 that hosted several applications such as Microsoft SharePoint, etc.

An editors user group demanded several logins with full credentials because this group will create tables and stored procedures.

So, I granted them db_datereader and db_datawriter database role.

I'm awared that db_datareader and db_datawriter role wont allow them to create tables or stored procedures.

Should I assigned db_owner roles?

Please help and advise?

Thanks,

Edwin

• No company I have ever worked with would support a non-DBA group getting permanent DBO access to a production database. Changes should be tested and approved and then migrated to live by a DBA team for maximum safety. Giving a whole non-DBA team DBO would be asking for strange data anomalies, code breaking, what have you as developers log in and change things on the fly just to see whether it works or not.

• Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your time and explanations on this issues. I am much appreciated.

-Edwin

• I’m not sure what to tell you man. Every day is going to be a bad day in office with the setup you got there.

Need to agree with Jeff ,

If you are initiating to setup some standards you got lot to do ; good luck

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply