100 + (100 - LocalPriceAmount)

ELSE

LocalPriceAmount

END

) /100) Mark

FROM

Fireball_Reporting..StateStreet_DailyPosition_Second StateStreet

INNER JOIN

Fireball_Reporting..SecurityIdentifier_All ON StateStreet.CUSIP = SecurityIdentifier_All.Identifier

INNER JOIN

Fireball..TradeBySecurityType Securities ON

Securities.PricingSecurityID = SecurityIdentifier_All.SecurityId AND Securities.Position = 1 AND

(CASE WHEN StateStreet.SecurityName LIKE '% R V %' THEN StateStreet.SharesParValue * -1 ELSE StateStreet.SharesParValue END) = Securities.Quantity

WHERE

CONVERT(DATETIME, StateStreet.PeriodEndDate) = '2012-10-23' --@PositionDate

GROUP BY

PeriodEndDate,

SecurityIdentifier_All.SecurityId

I need to do change in 2nd condition i.e

"(CASE WHEN StateStreet.SecurityName LIKE '% R V %' THEN StateStreet.SharesParValue * -1 ELSE StateStreet.SharesParValue END) = Securities.Quantity"

I don't want to match the Quantity but I need to be ensure that StateStreet.SharesParValue is positive or negative

because depending upon them I'm calculating Mark like following

MAX(

(CASE

WHEN Securities.Quantity < 0 THEN

100 + (100 - LocalPriceAmount)

ELSE

LocalPriceAmount

END

) /100) Mark

Now my concern is how could I change this

"(CASE WHEN StateStreet.SecurityName LIKE '% R V %' THEN StateStreet.SharesParValue * -1 ELSE StateStreet.SharesParValue END) = Securities.Quantity"

without considering Securities.Quantity i dont need to check and match wether it is equal or not i just need to ensure that whether the StateStreet.SharesParValue is positive or negative

How could I change that case statement need technical help ? I'm new to sql

• I'm not clear on what you're asking. You need help rewriting the Case statement, but I'm not sure what you need it to do.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Hi yes i need help in CASE statement my need is i need to only check wether that StateStreet.SharesParValue is positive or negative.

I was trying to put this case statement in WHERE clause (CASE WHEN StateStreet.SecurityName LIKE '% R V %' THEN StateStreet.SharesParValue * -1 ELSE StateStreet.SharesParValue END) but getting error: An expression of non-boolean type specified in a context where a condition is expected, near 'GROUP'

• That error means you have something in the Where clause that doesn't compare two things.

In the first copy, you have "= Securities.Quantity" after the Case statement. That makes it a "boolean operator" (look up "boolean" online if you aren't sure what that means).

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• ok but now the situation is i dont want to check with quantity i only need to know that quantity is '-' or '+'

i will give you an example.

my select query giving me following output

securityname date securityid portfolioid type mark quantity

R V DISH 10/23/201248795055 CDS1.0487189900000000-5000000.0000

BID R V 10/23/201248795055 CDS1.0487189900000000-2000000.0000

R F Fores 10/23/201248795055 CDS0.95128101000000003000000.0000

now in my original sql query it is checking for 'R V' if yes then quantity * -1 for other table i.e StateStreet.SharesParValue and check quantity matching or not

but because of that i missed some data which is having 'R V' but quantity not matching

so i need to only ensure for 'R V' stuff please help me

• Why are you putting the case statement in a where clause. Maybe bring back relevant values and then pick and choose with the case statement in select clause. You can have more than one "when" in a CASE statement. I would work on cleanin up your code as well. Another note, I don't recommend putting details about your data structure on a forum, why not create a simple table to outline your needs. Your query is very hard to read and it is hard to help you.

SELECT

18 BrokerDealerID, ---Are you aliasing column 18 as BrokerdealerID????

5 PortfolioID,

PeriodEndDate DATE,

SecurityIdentifier_All.SecurityId,

Mark = MAX((CASE WHEN Securities.Quantity < 0 THEN 100 + (100 - LocalPriceAmount) ELSE LocalPriceAmount END) /100)

FROM

Fireball_Reporting..StateStreet_DailyPosition_Second StateStreet

INNER JOIN

Fireball_Reporting..SecurityIdentifier_All ON StateStreet.CUSIP = SecurityIdentifier_All.Identifier

INNER JOIN

Fireball..TradeBySecurityType Securities

ON Securities.PricingSecurityID = SecurityIdentifier_All.SecurityId

AND Securities.Position = 1

AND StateStreet.SharesParValue <> 0 -----

WHERE

CONVERT(DATETIME, StateStreet.PeriodEndDate) = '2012-10-23' --@PositionDate

GROUP BY

PeriodEndDate,

SecurityIdentifier_All.SecurityId

• thanks for help

I'm getting all the records correctly there are 3 records for same security id and because of this MERGE statement is not updating my all 3 statements MERGE is only taking 1st statement

but i want all of them then what should i do?

48795055CDS131.0487189900000000-5000000.0000

48795055CDS131.0487189900000000-2000000.0000

48795055CDS130.95128101000000003000000.0000

• I don't understand, are you trying to insert or update these values?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply