Need help finding script to truncate log in SQL Server 2008

• Hi All-

I used to have this script but can't find it now. I have a database in simple mode that has filled the transaction log and won't let me recover the space with my usual method.

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET RECOVERY SIMPLE WITH NO_WAIT

DBCC SHRINKFILE(test_log, 1)

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET RECOVERY FULL WITH NO_WAIT

In the past when I ran into this problem it's typically because of one transaction at the end of the log that prevents the log space from being recovered. This script runs and moves the transaction to the beginning of the log and recovers that extra space.

BTW, this is for a test server where Im deleting a ton of transactions and don't care about recovery, just need to delete the transactions and clear the log.

If anyone has a copy of the script or a link for it I would very much appreciate it. I've looked for several hours and can't seem to find it on the intertubes now for some reason.

Thanks

• Something that has worked very well for me in this case is to run two tlog backups back to back. That will often times clear that transaction.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (7/11/2012)

Something that has worked very well for me in this case is to run two tlog backups back to back. That will often times clear that transaction.

Yep, did that too and no luck with that either.

• What does the following query return?

select

[name] as DatabaseName,

log_reuse_wait_desc

from

sys.databases;

• Lynn Pettis (7/11/2012)

What does the following query return?

select

[name] as DatabaseName,

log_reuse_wait_desc

from

sys.databases;

Checked that and it returns "NOTHING".

• Probably a silly question, why was the database in full recovery in the first place if you aren't worried about recoverability? And why shrink the log so? It will just end up growing again causing perf issues.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• Nicholas Cain (7/12/2012)

Probably a silly question, why was the database in full recovery in the first place if you aren't worried about recoverability? And why shrink the log so? It will just end up growing again causing perf issues.

This is a test system where the database was already created that way. I need to shrink it for space issues since I'm already out of drive space on this machine and the log is huge since we don't do regular backups since this is just a test system.

• If it's a test system then leave it in simple recovery. Have a daily job that sets all DBs to simple recovery. Set it back to full and you'll be right back with a full log in a few days

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Ther must be an open transaction that is filling your log, DBCC opentran.

[font="Tahoma"]
    --SQLFRNDZ[/url]
    [/font]

• GilaMonster (7/12/2012)

If it's a test system then leave it in simple recovery. Have a daily job that sets all DBs to simple recovery. Set it back to full and you'll be right back with a full log in a few days

This is a script that I'm running on the test system that I'm moving to production when I'm done debugging it so there's not really much that goes on with this database generally. So in general I'm leaving it in simple mode but this script is one that I'm trying to verify will work.

• @SQLFRNDZ (7/12/2012)

Ther must be an open transaction that is filling your log, DBCC opentran.

No active open transactions.

DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

Nope

• @SQLFRNDZ (7/12/2012)

If there was, log_reuse_wait_desc would have returned "Open Transaction", not nothing.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (7/12/2012)

@SQLFRNDZ (7/12/2012)

If there was, log_reuse_wait_desc would have returned "Open Transaction", not nothing.

In most cases. Though the opposite, I have seen opentran return nothing and log_reuse_wait_desc show 'Replication' or 'Active Transaction'

That's usually when the double t-log backup helps.

Wondering if growing this t-log by a couple of MB and then trying the double backup will help.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Rogman (7/12/2012)

GilaMonster (7/12/2012)

If it's a test system then leave it in simple recovery. Have a daily job that sets all DBs to simple recovery. Set it back to full and you'll be right back with a full log in a few days

This is a script that I'm running on the test system that I'm moving to production when I'm done debugging it so there's not really much that goes on with this database generally. So in general I'm leaving it in simple mode but this script is one that I'm trying to verify will work.

It will. Just one point...

In the past when I ran into this problem it's typically because of one transaction at the end of the log that prevents the log space from being recovered. This script runs and moves the transaction to the beginning of the log and recovers that extra space.

Nothing moves log records around in the log. Once a log record is in a specific place in the log, it cannot move. If it could, its VLF would change and that would cause all sorts of havok with a lot of the log management system.

The pattern log backup, shrink, log backup tells the logging system that you're trying to shrink the log and if there is an active VLF towards the end of the log file, it will start the next log records in a VLF earlier in the file if there is one. The log records at the end still need to be made inactive before you can shrink the log

Gail Shaw

• SQLRNNR (7/12/2012)

GilaMonster (7/12/2012)

@SQLFRNDZ (7/12/2012)

In most cases. Though the opposite, I have seen opentran return nothing and log_reuse_wait_desc show 'Replication' or 'Active Transaction'

Yes, it doesn't update immediately. Sometimes requires a checkpoint to update (and to actually truncate the log in simple)

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply